hova bator instructions??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chicken farmer 1997, Dec 25, 2011.

1. chicken farmer 1997

chicken farmer 1997 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    lewis county ky
    I got a hova bator Incubator for Christmas and while I have read the instructions I wanted to really understand the incubating process.
    I was hoping someone would have this incubator and kind of give me and overview of how things should be done or have realized ways to do things to make the hatch more successful. I was also wanting a kind of follow along instructions or list of must do's. Then place them in the incubator. To candle them can they be taken out to another room or should they stay in the room that is stable in temp? Should I sit them in an egg carton? it has a wegg turner too.

I know that some of the answers will be determined by circumstances when they occur but I like to know as much as I can and prepare. I want to get an idea of what this is going to be like.

thanks

2. tristancolli

tristancolli Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Kinmount
    still air or does it have the turbo-fan???

3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    No egg carton needed. Place each egg pointy side down in the egg turner. Some folks choose to add water to the tray in the bottom and others, like myself, choose the dry incubation method where no water is added until the last 3 days, during lockdown. Your temperature should stay around 100 degrees. To candle, you can take the eggs to another room if you wish. They won't get cold if only out for a couple minutes. The thermometer that comes with the incubator is not trustworthy and I highly recommend purchasing another one or 2. The ones in the aquarium department with the little green suction cups are good, get 2. Before you add eggs, plug up your bator, place the egg turner in there and adjust the thermostat until it reads right at 100 degrees and stays there for several hours. Many of us have the hovabator and it is a great choice.

4. chicken farmer 1997

chicken farmer 1997 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    lewis county ky
    it has a turbo fan

5. tristancolli

tristancolli Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Kinmount
    well i have the same bator as you. i found when i hatch thati hav one of the vent holes in the picture window open at all times but depending on ur room and temp then u might not needit. i will the water tray in the bottom through thewhole hatch and when i take the turner out for the 3 day lock down i also put a containor of water in just make sure it is tall enough the chicks can't get in. i agree with the poster above i use aquarium thermometers instead of the one that came withmy bator and i find with the forced air bator the one we have that get it set at around 99.5 and monitor it for around 3 hours for temp consistency with the water trays full and once after the 3 hours of close temp consitency then you can set your eggs. if u are seting tonight then tomorrow will be day 1 today will be day 0.

6. JenBirdRansom

JenBirdRansom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2011
    Graham/Kapowsin, WA
    What room in the house....or what ambient temp is best? I see an incubator in my future.....I'll be watching this thread to see how it goes for you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by