hova-bator questions

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by smarsh2, Mar 18, 2011.

1. smarsh2

smarsh2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    Anyone ever cover the top of their hova-bator to help insulate. I thought this might help maintain a better temperature?

Are you not suppose to remove the vent during the setting, only during hatching?

It amazes me this actually works, of course it is pretty amazing hatching under a hen too.

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    I don't actually own one but I borrowed one from a friend. I noticed the humidity kept fluctuating and when I asked the owner about the problem, he told me to put books on the window. I tried it and it did seem to help keep humidity longer.

3. ThaJuicyJuice

ThaJuicyJuice Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2011
    Miami
    I have the cheapy Hova bator 1602N and I have no problems maintaining temperature or Humidity. At least that is after I added the fan. Before that it was up and down all the time. Does yours have a fan?

4. smarsh2

smarsh2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    mine does have a fan and it actually seems to be working fine, but i have trouble leaving well enough alone. i was just wondering.
    thanks

5. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    once I get mine holding temp and the humidity is close I do not bother it until it needs water every coupla days mine is a 1602n as well I added a computer fan to mine too.

6. Jessiewoodard57

Jessiewoodard57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    Bushnell, FL.
    !st off never cover the bator it must have ventelation. I have never had an issue keeping temp in my hovabator. Mine have been rock solid on. is the bator in a room that keeps a stable temp?

7. yellowflower

yellowflower Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Bradford NH
    I was thinking of buying one of these incubators just for hatching. It sounds like everyone here does good with maintaining temps and humidity. Others find this incubator to be junk. I just want to use it as a hatcher. Could you tell me more about your experience with this style? I have a 1588 for incubating but want to do staggered hatches. Thanks!

8. texaschickmom

texaschickmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
    Lindale, TX
    Quote:Good morning...this is exactly what I do with my 1588's. I have a designated incubator and the other for hatching. I'm not a seasoned pro yet (only one [​IMG]) but it worked great. I love not having to worry about the temp at all since it's preprogrammed. And mine have held the humidity great. I hope you have good luck!

9. yellowflower

yellowflower Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Bradford NH
    Good morning to you!

I use the 1588 but only have one. So I was thinking of buying a 1602 but have heard alot of complaints about it. So it's either give it a try or make my own hatcher (which is what I'm leaning to).
    I have over 3 dozen eggs in there now but 1/3 of them are a week earlier than the rest. And I have a dozen shipped eggs that I don't want to mess up. [​IMG]

10. texaschickmom

texaschickmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
    Lindale, TX
    I love it because you can just keep that incubator going and going and going...just like the Energizer bunny! I know I need to stop sometime. I'm toying with the idea of trying to sell some on Craig's List. My biggest fear is being stuck with way too many chicks for the housing that I have. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by