Hova Bator vs Little Giant.......

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mourningdove, Dec 28, 2008.

1. Mourningdove

Mourningdove Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2008
    Cleveland, Tn.
    [​IMG] Ok here's my delema...

1st I am trying to ease my DH into my master plan [​IMG]
    this is what I have started talking to him about...
    He has agreed to let me place an order with Mc murray hatchery for Feb chicks! I am ordering the rainbow layer special which is all pullets from at least 5 different breeds! I shall start ggetting good eggs and my 2 roosters will be happy once they are matured right???
    So now hubby wants to know why I feel I want/need a bator!! He just doesn't seem to get it sometimes [​IMG]
    Now I have been looking/asking around and have found 2 different types, some with fans, some without fans, some with both.
    Which of the 2 brands are best annd why??? Please hurry as some I found are on ebay, 1 I know of is used ect... Any helpful advice today?

2. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    I've had both, the Hova bator is forshure better. my little giant didn't even last one hatch and they sent me repalcement parts then it worked ok as a hatcher if i kept a very close eye on it. the pre set temp on the Hova bator is great, I'm using it for the 3rd year. The fan is a must if you want a good hatch.

3. Mourningdove

Dec 17, 2008
    Cleveland, Tn.
    Hi and thanks for your responce! Now what do you mean by pre-set temps? And what else can you share with me? Lord knows I want to start hatching fuzzy butts!!

4. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    [​IMG] !! I have two LG's and one Hovabator and there are alot of mixed opinions about which is better. They both have their pros and cons but I think they are equal in quality (unless you get the more expensive Hovabators of course.) Mine are both the basic still airs and I prefer the LG's because I find the temperature easier to set and control. I like the Hovabator because the sides are higher. It's all about getting to know your equipment.

As far as pre-set, some Hovabators come pre-set so all you have to do is plug them in and other than adding water, no adjustments are needed.

5. Mourningdove

Dec 17, 2008
    Cleveland, Tn.
    thanks for the welcome!!! [​IMG] The preset sure sounds much easier to go with, no having to keep a constant eye on it which is great for me! [​IMG] I [​IMG] this site, all the people are such helpful & knowledable folks!

6. Mourningdove

Dec 17, 2008
    Cleveland, Tn.
    1 thing I forgot to ask is, what they call a turbo fan is that the same as a fan that your talking about?

7. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Quote:Yes - the two basic types are still air and forced air. Still air has no fan; forced air has the fan/turbo fan. Many people use the still air incubators and adapt a fan from a pc. I'm not quite that skilled although I hear it's fairly simple.

And you'll love this site - SO much info and great, friendly people!!

8. Mourningdove

Dec 17, 2008
    Cleveland, Tn.
    Aw thank you so much for clearing this up for me!!!!
    Oh YES I do love this site!!! [​IMG] I am so happy that I found it! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by