1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hova bator wafers

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by angora831, Apr 23, 2009.

1. angora831

angora831 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2008
    Manhattan, KS
    I am new to using a wafer controlled incubator and have had a new one running for about 6 weeks now. Have used it on a couple of batches. First batch the temp stayed pretty even, but now the temps seem to be up and down and need to be adjusted a few times a day. What is the normal "working life" of these wafers and is this what happens when they start to go bad? Thanks

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I have had my 1583 for about 4 months, and the temp almost never moves. I too would wonder if the wafer is going bad. One thing I have noticed is that the temp will fluctuate more if the humidity is low or the bator is not full. If you aren't using the bator with it being filled with eggs, at least put some baggies or jars with water in them, some clean, dry rocks, or something to take up the extra space. And probably would be a good idea to get another wafer to keep on standby, just in case yours is going out [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by