1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

hova bator ????????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Catfishingpokey, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Catfishingpokey

Catfishingpokey Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Albany, Tx
    I have an old hova bator that is at least 20 years old and all of a sudden i am having a hard time keeping the temp at a constant 99.5 i will check it and it will be 99 .7 then i can come back and check it a couple of hours latter and it will be 98.3 so i will make a slight adjustment. and check back latter it will read 100.7.what could be causing this?

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

If its 20 years old, maybe the heating element is going bad. I would purchase a new one.

3. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    STOP !!!! before you replace that heating element..

If it is that old, you probably have a wafer type thermostat.. those wafers wear out and you can tell when the temperature fluxuates more than 3 degrees.. just put a new wafer in.. If you can find a tandem wafer, buy it.. they hold a closer tolerance in temp..

a tandem wafer is two wavers stuck together like a cookie..

.....jiminwisc......

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    GQF makes hovabator. Call them. They have the wafers and other parts.

5. neckringer

neckringer Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2008
    Does anyone have a number i need a wafer for a hova bator myself???

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Google GQF - Georgia Quail Farm in Savannah, Georgia.

7. Catfishingpokey

Oct 5, 2008
    Albany, Tx
    I plan on buying a genisis 1588 next month but that wont help with the eggs i have incubating right now i do have another waffer in an old still air that the styrofoam is busted on do you think it would work?

8. justhatchin

justhatchin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2008
    Galva, Kansas
    maybe --give it a try. [​IMG]

9. Catfishingpokey

Oct 5, 2008
    Albany, Tx
    What shoulds the waffer look like .the waffers are the same size in diameter but the one in the hova bator is thick and springy feeling the other one is harder and thiner by almost half as much.

10. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    Quote:there are very few variencies in wafers.. there are wafers that have a threaded post(male thread), some have a threaded hole(female thread), then all you have to check is if the center of the wafer lines up with the tiny button on the micro switch.. In an emergency, or if you are just cheap (like me) . all these obstacles can be overcome with a little ingenuity.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by