Hova Bator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sanchoman, Dec 22, 2010.

1. sanchoman

sanchoman Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2009
    Orlando, fl
    I followed the instructions on setting up my hova bator... why does my wafer keep falling off?

Grr... I'm on lockdown due to hatch tomorrow and this thing fell off as I adjusted the temperature down since it was creeping a little high due to the temperature changes we've been having here...

20's a few days ago and 70's today...

2. Petej

Petej Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    PDX area
    Be sure the wafer is completely threaded onto the threaded rod. I had troubles with mine too. It's fine thread, so it'll take a number of turns for it to seat. After it's seated, then you adjust the thermostat wafer.

I haven't had to adjust mine once it was set-up. It should only vary inside the 'Bator by a degree or two once it's stable, regardless of room temp, At least, that's my findings. The biggest effects will be from Drafts in the room.

3. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    I bought a used one but have the same thng. It keeps a good temp and humidity too for that matter. I would rather have more hovobators than the 2 LG's I have. They are a royal pain.

4. Petej

Petej Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    PDX area
    I have an LG here too. I gave up on it.....

I had two hova-bators in the closet here, with turners that my FIL had packed away.

One of the Hova-bators is on loan to friend of mine so he could try his hand at hatching....

5. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    I've learned how to adjust the temp of the LG's. With them it's alot to do with the temp and humidity in the room they're in. WE use electric space heaters so it sucks the moisture right out of the air. So I have to double up on the sponges and I put a small fan, (my hot flash fan) [​IMG] up in the corner of the doorway to pull in the heat to that room. I cna't put a heater in the room because it makes them get too hot. If they drop I cover them with a towel. I keep the big holes closed off and I have them sitting up on some Dominos. The playing tiles, under each corner to promote better circulation.

Although i'm practically a slave to them keeping an eye out for fluctuations, I really don't mind since I don't go many places anyway. They are not good for those that can't tend to them, thats a fact. The Hovobator or a cabinet is the way to go. Well, i'm told a cabinet is the way to go. I have yet to get mine built.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by