Hova. Gen 1588: Increasing ventilation at hatchtime

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jmc, Jun 11, 2009.

1. jmc

jmc Songster

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    DUCK EGGS

Is it sufficient to just take out that red plug in the top of the bator to increase ventilation?

Or should the top be, like, raised up on one corner or something

Also, this important question:

I assume this ventilation increase is NOT to be done UNTIL THERE ARE SOME BABIES OUT OF THE EGGS--and not before.

Right? Cuz up until hatching (i.e. for the last three days) the humidity has to be buped up and kept high........

I've never used the bator until now.

I am grateful to anyone who can help

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2009
  2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I never have the plug in mine.....not thru incubation or hatch. Even before they hatch, the eggs need a good exchange of oxygen.

3. jmc

jmc Songster

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    Quote:Thanks, Katy. Funny, I was hoping you would see this!!!

Do you do anything BESIDES keeping the plug out in order to increase ventilation during hatch--or do you just leave as is all the way through?

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I leave the plug out all the time....in fact I hope I never need it cause I've got no clue where it is!! [​IMG]

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Crowing

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I don't really think it matters. Good luck with these eggs. I hope you have success. [​IMG]

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I run my little water hose down through there... but I've always put tape around it... maybe that's why I've had hatching issues... hmm...leave it open!

I've got to get rid of some chickens.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2009
  7. hinkjc

hinkjc Crowing

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I never take my plug out of my 1588 unless the humidity gets crazy (the plug on a forced fan bator is to regulate humidity more than anything). Ventilation is regulated via the fan and the holes along the bottom edge of the styrofoam.

8. jmc

jmc Songster

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    So then, it seems that there is no need to increase ventilation AT ALL once the babies (IF) emerge???

9. IggiMom

IggiMom Songster

Apr 12, 2009
    West Virginia
    I don't take the plug out at all unless the humidity goes too high, because this is what the instructions said to do.

Ventilation is not really and issue, at least I don't think so, because the little fan brings air in.

If I am wrong I hope someone tells me so, though.[​IMG]

Catherine

10. jmc

jmc Songster

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    thank you , again. this all helps!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: