1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hovabator 1582 Help Please!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by duckncover, Oct 17, 2013.

1. duckncover

duckncover Duck Obsessed

Jan 17, 2009
    North Eastern PA
    I'm having some trouble getting my hovabator 1582 to work right. I have a computer fan in it. All of my thermometers have different readings. The temperature range according to a digital accurite thermometer is it turns on at 96 degrees and turns off at 101 degrees. How can I get it to be a closer range and more accurate? Does it sound like it's broken? I bought it "used" at a pet store.

2. duckncover

duckncover Duck Obsessed

Jan 17, 2009
    North Eastern PA
    Can anyone suggest an accurate thermometer I can buy? According to my thermometer it is still going from 97-101.

3. tbmorgan

tbmorgan Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2013
    Have you calibrated all of your thermometers? You want to be sure that they are all starting from the same place. That being said, I got my "main" thermometer at Petsmart in the reptile section. It is a combo thermometer/hygrometer with 2 long wire leads with sensors on the ends, so the unit can be outside of the incubator. The leads fit perfectly in that little notch that the egg turner power cord goes through. I also have 2 back-up thermometers. My main thermometer has indicated a very steady temp, staying within half a degree of 38* Celsius. Before using any of my thermometers, I calibrated them using the ice water method.

Hope this helps!

Katja

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by