Hovabator 1602 proper temp and humidity questions? Suggestions.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Barbedwirecat, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Barbedwirecat

Barbedwirecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    Limestone
    My head is still reeling with information overload. Just added eggs, temp and humidity were stable at 99* and 51% Now we are at 97* and 59% (it has been raining here, but I do have the middle slot full)

What is the proper temp and humidity for a 1602 still air w/ turner?

I keep getting answers but all over the place!

Also what are acceptable levels of fluctuation during incubation? I would like to candle, but do not want to disturb the temp. To candle or not and how long can I leave it open when I candle?

Just want to make sure I'm doing this right, it's my first time! I had set up a home made fish tank incubator but couldn't get anything stablized enough to feel comfortable using it so I went ahead and used the Hovabator I set up 2 days ago.

It's going to be a loooong 21 days and I'm going to probably annoy you all, sorry before hand!

2. DAVE07

DAVE07 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2011
    Melbourne
    Also what are acceptable levels of fluctuation during incubation? I would like to candle, but do not want to disturb the temp. To candle or not and how long can I leave it open when I candle?

Greeetings from Australia. Congratulations on your set up. In regards to Candling I would wait between 7-10 days, it just makes it a little bit easier to see everything, especially if its your first time. Candle the eggs one at a time if you can to avoid major fluctuations in temp. Don;t worry too much though. In the wild mother hens get off their eggs to go eat, drink and poop for anywhere between 5-25 minutes at a time.

In terms of temp/ humidity I run my incubator dry as I live in a quite humid environment. Temperature remains steady at 37.7 degrees celsius.

I'm currently using a Lab Incubator for my first hatch, so far so good but i'm just as eager to see if things work out well with this set up!!

Best of luck [​IMG]

3. ChaddiX

ChaddiX Out Of The Brooder

4. rebel yell

rebel yell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    Quote:Temp. on still air should be 101 at the top of the eggs, candle at 10 & 18 days, & dont leave it open just take the eggs out & close it back.

5. Barbedwirecat

Barbedwirecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    Limestone
    The temp is reading 100 steady, I'm going to get it a little higher if I can. The humidity never dipped below 57% so I just pulled all of the water out with a straw (don't ask how. just...yea) and it's dropping.

I'm still trying to get a stupid probe thermometer (or at least one that reads in points jeeze) I found my other but the read out is broken. I'm stuck with the big walmart one for now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by