Hovabator 1602N- Overhaul.. It Made Perfect Sense Last Night Over the Course of 12 hours on BYC...No

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mattfulleroc, Dec 7, 2012.

1. mattfulleroc

mattfulleroc Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2010
    I honestely began with good intentions,,,A topic happened to catch my interest and I began to read the threads....I don't think I had been to BYC since the dismal failed hatch attempt I experienced several months ago with my Hobabator 1602N.

Last night I must have been very, very tired as I definitley was kidding myself in terms of my knowlege of electronics or anything technical for that matter. I poured over thread after thread and honestly think I convinced myself I was actually able to follow the advanced discussions on hatching, building a custom incubator, etc,

I knew I wanted a fan, I had issues keeping the temperature consistant so with much interest I tried to gather as much information as possible about improving and replacing the heat controls...

Despite my normal better judgement I finally couldn't resist the temptation and switched over to E-bay and then Amazon.com

I now have at least two (maybe more as it gets a bit cloudy) packages coming in the next few days...and no idea whether they are compatable with tje unit or simply seemed so at the time....I need some advice as to whether or not the items I orered will in fact improve my incubator and I need to figure out exactly what I need in additon to the pieces themselves so I can possibly succeed.

If anyone would be so kind as to take a moment and look at what I purchased and know whether it is able to be used I would really appreciate your advice.as to how I might proceed. Thanks! matt

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0084Y8HJK/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007ZLKCNM/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

http://www.omega.com/ppt/pptsc.asp?ref=HH305_306&ttID=HH305_306&Nav=I

This is a handheld thermometer with Type K Thermocouples. (I had this already because I use it to check the temperature of my Sulcata tortoise's house when the heat mat is running)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  2. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    The fan will work, not sure about the temperature controller. Is the intention there to remove the wafer style thermostat and replace it with that?

With the 1602N type, the most important thing for success is the placement of it. 72 degree room, draft free. I've wrapped the thing up in towels in the winter, hid it in the basement in the summer. Once I have the dial where I know it will maintain it's 99.5, I hunt around for the most stable room location in the house.

It can take a week to calibrate it to where it runs steady. More if you work. Once you find the sweet spot with 1/4 turn changes, don't move it! It will still fluctuate up and down. The question is if it's kicking on and off when it should. Sometimes I'd walk in and check it, and it would read 96 degrees. The light would be off. 1/4 turn up. I'd come back and it'd be 103.5 with the light on. Down 1/4 turn. I got so frustrated I wrapped it up in towels. That fixed it. It was the room, not the incubator.

Be sure to get a digital thermometer with the hydrometer. Rule #1, replace the thermometer it came with, or use that one as a back up after calibrating it.

Can't say enough good things about the new 1588 though. And it's $135 with the fan and digital screen. Haven't had to wrap it up in towels yet! You really plug that one in and go.

1 person likes this.
  3. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    The wafer thermostat in Hovabators are very reliable and user friendly when adjusting. I'd not replace it, return your heating thermostat.

As the previous poster said, stable room temperatures aid with all incubators. Another thing to help is add heat sinks. This is as simple as putting rocks in the bottom of the incubator or tupperware filled with water (lid on) or bottles of water; any mass that will hold heat will keep the incubator temperature steady. The problem lies in incubating too few eggs at a time so temperature fluctuates dramatically. By adding more heat sinks in lieu of eggs your temperature will stay constant.

Fans can help circulate the temperature so there are no cold or hot spots in your incubator. With fans you incubate at 99.5F and expect the temperature all around the eggs to be consistent. If you return the fan incubate at 101.5F measured at top of eggs. Heat rises so reading at top of eggs gives you a constant location with a tried and tested temperature to achieve in still air incubators.

I guess I'm advising to return your orders and simply try incubating again with heat sinks and quality thermometer/hygrometer. The 1602N is a great still air incubator and with a few more attempts keeping heat and humidity in check and you'll be getting excellent hatch rates. It will take a few attempts as you'll find a humidity that works. I like running 35% then 55% last 3 days.

4. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    I tend to ramble on when awaking in the middle of night with no hope of sleeping...

This hygrometer can be calibrated and the thermometer has excellent accuracy. I've one myself and recommend it highly for a moderate priced unit. Sure it does not read to tenth of degree yet it's accurate to half a degree and that's what counts.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Xikar-Calib...961?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d078bfa99

Another note on poor hatching rates is if using shipped eggs. No matter how well they are packaged some postal services handle poorly. With my own eggs, some stored for two weeks, we have 85% hatch rate and better. With shipped eggs the best we've done is 25%. Somewhere on the eastern cost there are some very angry Postal workers as shipped eggs up to New Hampshire don't incubate well. I could try and get eggs shipped from the west of me and see if that helps. Try to get local eggs for your next hatch to rule out the huge variable of angry Postal worker syndrome.

5. mattfulleroc

Aug 31, 2010
    The fan will work, not sure about the temperature controller. Is the intention there to remove the wafer style thermostat and replace it with that? Initially this was what I thought I might do as I thought it might ensure I wouldn’t have any issues with temperature as I had many problems several months ago but after reading all of the advice I think I may stick with the thermostat it came with and currently is testing as I think the errors which occurred likely were due to other factors, most of them quite manageable I hope.
    With the 1602N type, the most important thing for success is the placement of it. 72 degree room, draft free. I've wrapped the thing up in towels in the winter, hid it in the basement in the summer. Once I have the dial where I know it will maintain it's 99.5, I hunt around for the most stable room location in the house. I have it currently in my bedroom closet. This happens to be the only room in the house which doesn’t have good cross ventilation as it is an old Craftman’s home built around 1912.
    It can take a week to calibrate it to where it runs steady. More if you work. Once you find the sweet spot with 1/4 turn changes, don't move it! It will still fluctuate up and down. The question is if it's kicking on and off when it should. Sometimes I'd walk in and check it, and it would read 96 degrees. The light would be off. 1/4 turn up. I'd come back and it'd be 103.5 with the light on. Down 1/4 turn. I got so frustrated I wrapped it up in towels. That fixed it. It was the room, not the incubator. This, I realize, was my biggest mistake last time. On impulse I purchased some eggs from an unknown seller on E-bay (I knew better than this but for some reason I did it anyway)….While I spent countless hours gathering information and watched many tutorials none of this mattered when it came time to incubate the eggs as I had not left an adequate amount of time to ensure the incubator was calibrated properly so when things started to occur such as temperature variation I attempted to solve the problem by adjusting the heating switch and the result was exactly what you describe above but this went on throughout the entire course of the incubation…
    Be sure to get a digital thermometer with the hydrometer. Rule #1, replace the thermometer it came with, or use that one as a back up after calibrating it.
    This is the thermometer I have right now. It is handheld thermometer with Type K Thermocouples (I had this already because I use it to check the temperature of my Sulcata tortoise's house when the heat mat is running):

Datalogger Thermometers With Type K Thermocouples
    OMEGAETTE® HH306 Series

Click for larger image.

$ 219.00 HH306A

Low Cost Type K Thermocouple Datalogger/Thermometers

Dual Input

Resolution 0.1°C, 0.1°F

Triple Display

Range: -200 to 1370°C (-328 to 2498°F)

Accuracy: +/-1°C or +/-2°F

RS-232 Interface with Windows Software

Low Battery Indication

16,000 Records Data Logger

Auto Power Off

HOLD Function

MAX MIN Function

HH306: TIME Function to Show Date and Time

NIST Traceable Certificate of Calibration

View related products - Handheld Instruments for Temperature Measurement

Can't say enough things about the new 1588 though. And it's $135 with the fan and digital screen. Haven't had to wrap it up in towels yet! You really plug that one in and go.
    The wafer thermostat in Hovabators are very reliable and user friendly when adjusting. I'd not replace it, return your heating thermostat.
    As the previous poster said, stable room temperatures aid with all incubators. Another thing to help is add heat sinks. This is as simple as putting rocks in the bottom of the incubator or tupperware filled with water (lid on) or bottles of water; any mass that will hold heat will keep the incubator temperature steady. The problem lies in incubating too few eggs at a time so temperature fluctuates dramatically. By adding more heat sinks in lieu of eggs your temperature will stay constant.

I think I have picked a good spot for the incubator and the heat sinks makes a lot of sense.

Fans can help circulate the temperature so there are no cold or
    hot spots in your incubator. With fans you incubate at 99.5F and expect the temperature all around the eggs to be consistent. If you return the fan incubate at 101.5F measured at top of eggs. Heat rises so reading at top of eggs gives you a constant location with a tried and tested temperature to achieve in still air incubators.
    I guess I'm advising to return your orders and simply try incubating again with heat sinks and quality thermometer/hygrometer. The 1602N is a great still air incubator and with a few more attempts keeping heat and humidity in check and you'll be getting excellent hatch rates. It will take a few attempts as you'll find a humidity that works. I like running 35% then post #4Egghead_Jr
    I tend to ramble on when awaking in the middle of night with no hope of sleeping...
    This hygrometer can be calibrated and the thermometer has excellent accuracy. I've one myself and recommend it highly for a moderate priced unit. Sure it does not read to tenth of degree yet it's accurate to half a degree and that's what counts.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Xikar-Calibratable-Digital-Hygrometer-Thermometer-Cigar-Humidor-Pipe-Tobacco-/330839095961?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d078bfa99
    Thank you for recommending a hygrometer/thermometer. I just ordered it from the link you provided. Since the thermometer I have is an accurate one but does not measure humidity I think I will use both and this way I will have a backup
    Another note on poor hatching rates is if using shipped eggs. No matter how well they are packaged some postal services handle poorly. With my own eggs, some stored for two weeks, we have 85% hatch rate and better. With shipped eggs the best we've done is 25%. Somewhere on the eastern cost there are some very angry Postal workers as shipped eggs up to New Hampshire don't incubate well. I could try and get eggs shipped from the west of me and see if that helps. Try to get local eggs for your next hatch to rule out the huge variable of angry Postal worker syndrome.
    I believe this was the major mistake which led to many others on my first attempt! I knew better too but still did it…I won’t make the same mistake again!

Thanks so much! I’ll keep everyone posted on things. Matt

6. mattfulleroc

Aug 31, 2010
    Last night I placed a 4" x 4" x 3" tupperware container inside the incubator and today it seems to be able to reach the desired temperature. Thank you for mentioning the heat sinks. I actually had the thermometer out for a good part of the day trying to figure out how to program it. I ordered the thermometer/hygrometer you suggested so this will be a backup...I checkef on the calibration (sort of..just with ice water..I didn't check with boiling water) and it seems to be good. A friend of mine who is an aerospace engineer brought it to me a few months ago for me to use to check the temp of my huge Sulcata's heat pad in his winter house so I believe they calibrate them on a regular basis. I don't know how to link to the pic but here are the stats:

Datalogger Thermometers With Type K Thermocouples
    OMEGAETTE® HH306 Series

Click for larger image.

$ 219.00 HH306A

Low Cost Type K Thermocouple Datalogger/Thermometers

Dual Input

Resolution 0.1°C, 0.1°F

Triple Display

Range: -200 to 1370°C (-328 to 2498°F)

Accuracy: +/-1°C or +/-2°F

RS-232 Interface with Windows Software

Low Battery Indication

16,000 Records Data Logger

Auto Power Off

HOLD Function

MAX MIN Function

HH306: TIME Function to Show Date and Time

NIST Traceable Certificate of Calibration

View related products - Handheld Instruments for Temperature Measurement

I am likely going to return the thermometer control as you suggested. It hasn't arrived but I already processed the return with Amazon and printed out the labels. In terms of the fan..Do you think I would be wise to install the fan (it is already wired with an AC cord so all I will have to do is secure it to the top of the unit and plug it in to an outlet) or do you think I should go with another attempt at a still air incubation?

I have one last question if you don't mind. I am now running the incubator a without eggs but with the water container. I am now watching for it to get to the desired temperature. So once it starts turning off at the desired temperature 101.5 (or 99.5 if I install the fan) how long do I need to run it before I consider it to be stable and then place the eggs?

After I place the eggs will I have to play with the adjustment any more or should I expect it drop for a little while when I put the eggs in and then go back to the normal desired temp after the eggs are heated?

Thanks so much! matt

7. Roxannemc

Roxannemc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri

8. Roxannemc

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    Sorry about the messed upreply above sent from my phone and im having issues with byc reply areaIn short i had non e hatch until i bought the Genesis.Best money i ever spent

9. Roxannemc

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    .And dont get eggs shipped or dont expect much..My record..10 hatches of shipped eggs ...4 zero hatched One amazing hatch got a rare 10 chicks rest got 1--5.Out of approx 140 or more eggs got26 chicks totlal.zGood Luck.

10. Roxannemc

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    Hovabator Geneisis is$150 its not a genesis% 150S orry for above mistake

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by