hovabator 1602N problem

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AZ Birds, Dec 14, 2012.

1. AZ Birds

AZ Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2012
    Goodyear, AZ
    i just discovered today when i was going to put some quail eggs in the incubator that my hovabator stopped heating. i checked to see if it was the wafer thermostat by changing it out with another hovabator incubators thermostat that i know works but still no heat. indicator light is also staying off but fan works. do you think it is the heating element? and why is the fan on and not the indicator light.

2. dbcooper02

dbcooper02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    SW Washington
    I believe the fan is wired to run all the time and the heating element and pilot light go on and off as controlled by the thermostat. With no pilot light coming on either I doubt the element has gone bad. You may just have a loose connection in the circuit to the heat element or the micro switch that the wafer bears against may be stuck in the off position. Do you hear the click as you screw the wafer against the switch and back it off? If no click the switch may need to be replaced. Unplug the incubator and wiggle and tug on the wire connections to see if one is loose. I remember I got a hovabator for cheap a while back because it wasn't working and the only problem was a loose connection.

3. AZ Birds

AZ Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2012
    Goodyear, AZ
    thanks for the reply. i think it was a loose connection my dad started fiddling with the wires and taping on the yellow box and it turned back on. im going to leave it on for a few days and see what happens. good thing i just bought a 3rd incubator 2 days ago as i have 120 quail and 29 chicken eggs i have to incubate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by