Hovabator 2100 comes on Wednesday! :D

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by silkielover92, Jan 7, 2013.

1. silkielover92

silkielover92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Eatonville Washington
    So my Hovabator comes on Wednesday, I've never used one before its a still air bator. So I have a few questions: question number 1: for Serama eggs what should the temperature be? question number 2: what should the humidity be? question number 3: how many times do you recommend I turn the eggs? I'm very new to this so any and all help will be appreciated!!!! thank you all so much! :)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    question number 1: for Serama eggs what should the temperature be?

In a still air incubator the temperature will vary depending on where you are in the incubator. Warm air rises so the higher you go, the warmer it will be. With regular sized eggs the recommendation is 101.5 degrees Fahrenheit at the top of the eggs, but Serama eggs are pretty small compared to regular eggs. I’m kinda guessing but I’d drop that some, maybe to 100.5 degrees. What you are trying to do is make the center of the eggs somewhere pretty close to 99.5 degrees.

question number 2: what should the humidity be?

This one is even harder. You’ll get a lot of different recommendations because different things work for different ones of us. I generally shoot for the low 40’s during incubation and around 65% or higher during lockdown, but I’m sure others will tell you they use something different and I won’t argue with them. You’d think the conditions inside an incubator would be the same for all of us but from the posts I see on here, they obviously are not.

question number 3: how many times do you recommend I turn the eggs?

Sounds like you are turning them by hand. There is no magic number for this but I’d suggest at least three times a day. More often won’t hurt a bit. Turning is important especially the first week or so. That’s when the body parts are forming. Turning helps the body parts form in the right places.

I don’t know what your schedule is but you need to set up a set schedule to run them. Otherwise you tend to forget. What you are after is to not let them stay in the same position for a majority of the time. An example, if you are at work all day, come home and turn them for a short while, then turn then again for overnight, turn them again for a short while when you get up, then turn them just before you leave for work, they will spend a majority of the time in the same position. You need to figure out a turning schedule that meets your schedule and balances it out. A lot of people find that an odd number of times turning them each day works pretty well for this, but it really depends on your schedule. You don't have to be real precise with this, just get it as close as you reasonably can.

1 person likes this.
  3. silkielover92

silkielover92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Eatonville Washington
    thank you for your knowledge! I appreciate it.

4. LukensFarms

LukensFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2013
    Fort Collins, CO
    I second most of this. I would only add to put a dot on the eggs and make sure you completely turn it over every time. Best of luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by