Hovabator- air holes???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ripituprip, May 27, 2010.

1. ripituprip

ripituprip Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Should you open vents from day one on a forced air incubator? There are no other air holes on my hovabator....I am unsure as to whether or not the incubator will have enough oxygen.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

There are holes on your Hova. They are tiny ones around the perimeter just above the bottom of the bator, a bit larger than the head of a straight pin. Check it out by shining a flashlight into it in a dark room and look at the outside on the sides. You should see light shining through. You can keep the vents closed up until close to hatch day. At hatch, they need more oxygen flow. If there is really a defect, you can make air holes in it by heating some copper wire or something similar with a soldering iron and pushing it through.

3. ripituprip

ripituprip Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks. I feel stupid! Still trying to get the temp to settle. It has been from 98.7 to 101.8

4. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    I leave mine open anyway. Sometimes I close one, but the temp stays steady no matter what I do, and I have better success with super low humidity, so there is simply no reason for me to put the plugs in. You can play around with it--it's not likely to ruin your hatch either way, just take notes and see what methods give you better hatches. Have fun!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by