1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hovabator genesis vs octagon 20 eco

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Bush84, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Bush84

Bush84 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2015
    Kensington, mn
    Hello all. Thinking about buying my first incubator. Was going to build one but I don't think I'll ever get around to it. I'm not going to hatch a ton of eggs but feel that the brinsea mini doesn't quite hold enough. Will likely be buying in eggs in the spring. If all goes well I want to hatch cream legbars and welsummers in spring. I also have hopes of hatching turkeys in the future. I have read some old topics here comparing these two incubators. One seemed heavily in favor of the octo and the other two in favor of the hovabator. They were also all old topics. So in case something has changed I figured I'd start another. I believe they can both do turkeys. Can anybody verify? Either better then the other in regards to quality/durability?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Honestly I would always go Brinsea over Hovabator. I'm really not a fan of styrofoam incubators; they fall apart easier and generally have poorer hatch rates. I have an old Octagon 20 DX and it works great for me. The dividers are completely adjustable so you can fit chicken, turkey, quail, peafowl, pretty much anything. I mean, I got this thing from a thrift store, it's maybe 7-8 years old, and it still does a bang-up job. Not quite as good as my Mini Advance (that thing gives me 100% hatch rates all the time!) but still really great (usually 80%)

3. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    If one can afford the Brinsea, I would certainly go Brinsea over any styro. If one can not afford Brinsea, I would go Hovabator over any of the other cheaper made bators. I use styro and have excellent hatches, but it's more work. Brinsea are set em and forget em for the most part, especially the advanced ones. And styros are no where near as "durable".

Yes, they can do any eggs, from quail up. If you are using a turner though you are going to be a little more limited-sizewise. In the styros you can fit more in the bator sans turner than if you are using it. And if you do quail you need the rails.

4. Bush84

Jan 4, 2015
    Kensington, mn
    Definitely getting the turner. There's no way I'd hatch any eggs if I were expected to turn eggs myself. As far as quantity its ok s long as I can hatch more than a dozen chicken eggs. Seems that many sell hatching eggs by the dozen. I'm certain you can get them by the half dozen but seems that you'd run the risk of a failure or two then a rooster or two and you may not be left with many hens. So if I can hatch two batches of a dozen eggs I'd be happy.

1 person likes this.
  5. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    The turners for the Hovabator hold-42 chicken eggs I believe.

6. dheltzel

dheltzel Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2013
    Pottstown, PA
    I only have experience with the Genesis, not the Brinsea, but I can tell you that the Genesis is also "set and forget" (not that I recommend that in any case). The disparaging comments about styrofoam incubators needing a lot of attention are very true - for all the other ones, but the Genesis has a much better heating element and thermostat than the other Hovabators. I highly recommend it. It is a lot cheaper than even the "eco", when you include auto turners, and holds more eggs. The added space will be helpful when hatching turkeys.

7. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    LOL. I couldn't "set and forget" any bator...lol I'm too hands on! I am hoping to get the 1588 next spring. I love the "picture window". I'll never be able to afford a Brinsea, but they are nice bators.

8. crank

crank Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2014
    Utah
    Bush84, I am in the same boat. I was looking at building an incubator but didn't want to go through the hassle especially when I am trying to hatch out Creme Legbars. I too found the Brinsea Mini just a little too small for my liking, and also I' am looking at hatching some Turkey eggs in the spring. I looked at the Genesis and the Octagon 20 eco and after reading a lot of reviews, opinions, etc.. I pulled the trigger and ordered the Octagon 20 Eco last Saturday and it will arrive here on Wednesday. It seemed to fit my needs of not having to fuss and baby sit the incubator when all I want is a bunch Creme Legbar chicks [​IMG]. I may add the auto turning cradle but for now I will manual turn the whole bator.

9. Bush84

Jan 4, 2015
    Kensington, mn
    Sounds like the octagon may be the way to go. It's more expensive but the more I live life the more I find that spending more on the front end will save you time money and hassle in the long run.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by