Hovabator? How good is it?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ncCHICKS, Nov 27, 2008.

1. ncCHICKS

ncCHICKS Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Hope Mills, NC
    At the feed store there is a $85 dollar bator that I really want! I was wondering if they are any good.

2. Rufflemyfeathers

Rufflemyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    Astatula Florida
    I AM NEW AT THIS MYSELF AND I BOUGHT A STILL AIR ON EBAY AND THEN I BOUGHT ONE SOMEWHERE ELSE ON INTERNET WITH CIRCULATING AIR BATOR IS KIND OF DEE. I LIKE THE CIRCULATING AIR BETTER IT EVEN HAD AN EGG TURNER IN IT BUT IT KEPT GETTING STUCK SO TOOK IT OUT AND TURN MYSELF EXCEPT HAD ALL MY FIRST BATCH OF 16 EGGS IN THE STILL AIR ONE AND I SWITCHED BETTER. THEY HATCH IN DAY OR TWO. SO IF I GOT ONE I WOULD GET I WITH CIRCULATING AIR.. ONLY MY OPINION..I DO WANT TO BUY ANOTHER TURNER TO PUT IN IT AND HOPE WORKS BETTER THAN OTHER DID. I BURNED IT.

3. bloomnbeauty

bloomnbeauty Delux Cluxs

Sep 16, 2008
    N Florida
    I have 3 Hovabators. They work great if set right. I do have a little problem getting the humidity right but thats got more to do with where I live than anything else. I agree with Rufflemyfeathers. Turners make life a lot easier.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2008
  4. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    I have a forced air with a turner,but my turner went out. I have to turn the eggs by hand. This last hatch I had 33 chicks hatch out of 39 eggs I kep after day14. I find that keeping the humidity low helps the hatch.

5. Cackel

Cackel Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2008
    I have 2 of the littlegiants and one of the havabators and I like my little giants better , I can,t get the temperture right in the havabotor

6. UrbanMama

UrbanMama Gone Country....

Sep 27, 2008
    Massachusetts
    When it comes to hovabators, the model makes a humongous difference. The best (in my opinion) is the 1588 genesis. It regulates the temp automatically so all you have to watch is the humidty. I have the 1602 still air that I use as a hatcher and it fulfills it's purpose...but I wish I had another of the 1588! The biggest differences is that the 1588 has a fan and the heat is regulated automatically. The 1602 is a still air and you have to adjust the heat manually.

There is another model, 2362, that is supposed to have the fan but you would need to moniter the temps and adjust them accordingly.

Hope that helps [​IMG]

7. Rufflemyfeathers

Rufflemyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    Astatula Florida
    I have the still air and the 2362 and both have to watch the temp and hum..but all could afford..I like the one with the fan the best but going to get a new turner one came with was cheap so got rid of it..The 2362 is more cozy I think.

8. CountryMom

CountryMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    I have two of the still air Hovabators (1602N I think.) I have no trouble with them. In fact, I hatched a bunch of quail this past year in them without a hitch. Only bator I have ever had issues with is a Little Giant. Cooked 100 quail eggs this summer when it hit 110. I burned that one in the burn barrel. I do also have an egg turning in one of the Hovabators and love it. I have trays for chicken size eggs and quail size eggs. If I get another table top bator I am going to get the 1588.

9. Feathered Wings

Feathered Wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Georgia
    Quote:Is the 1588 good at holding a steady temp? I have a brower top hatch and the thermostat is real tricky to set. [​IMG] I really want one that will set and hold the temp without me constantly fiddling with it.
    Do you recommend it for this? Do you use a turner?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by