Hovabator keeps dropping temp... Ideas?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Erica, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Erica

Erica Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2010
    My Hovabator has been dropping about a degree every time I open the lid. It won't come back to operating temp no matter how long I wait, and so I have to keep cranking it up. I didn't realise this was happening at first, so I've already lost about half the setting. [​IMG]

It has no trouble keeping temperature steady when the lid isn't moved. However I don't have a turner installed so have been turning by hand, hence the lid is getting moved quite a lot.

I'm allowing at least 4 hours between temp adjustments. I'm also being as gentle as possible with moving the lid around, and I'm picking it up by the sides (not the screw itself). But the temperature is still having sudden drops after lid opening. (Just to be clear, I'm not talking about the immediate drop; I'm talking about the temperature returning to a degree lower than it was... Then it stays in the new position unless I crank it up again.)

This machine was delivered in replacement of an earlier brand new Hovabator that ceased to work on day 19, killing my entire setting. Now it's probably out of warranty (if you count my first purchase date). I feel I can't ask the shop to take it back, but by the same token it's been safely stored in a box while I was waiting for my birds to grow to fertile egg laying age, and now it seems like a complete dud.

But of course I might be overlooking something... Does anyone have ideas as to what could be wrong? I'm almost ready to throw it in the bin.

2. 202roosterlane

202roosterlane Happy Hen on a Harley

Feb 24, 2011
    Central Arkansas
    Mine does the same thing. Before I bought an egg turner, I just slide my hand in there instead of removing the intire lid, turned them quickly, and put the lid down. Of course your gonna drop temp and humidity. But I put the red hole plugs in the lid till the temp and humidity go back to good levels. I do not play with the temp control each time. You will go crazy and never get any sleep. But you seriously have to check the humidy with all the lifting of the lid. Would hate for the to get shrink wrapped. I know it's a bit of investment but you will really enjoy not having to turn eggs and play with the temp/humidy stuff all the time!

3. Erica

Erica Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2010
    Thanks 202roosterlane,

I do have a turner, but this time I preferred to turn by hand (had more eggs than would fit otherwise). [​IMG]

I'm not concerned so much about humidity; the air cells are all increasing nicely. I won't open the machine during lockdown anyhow. It's just frustrating that I have to turn the screw a good quarter or half turn every time I open the lid now. And then of course I have to recheck it a few hours later, and sometimes it's still too low, what a pain.

Just wish I had some idea what could be causing the problem that's all.

Once again I appreciate the response. Have a nice day! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by