HovaBator Model 1588 With thermostat

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jrhbull, Jan 30, 2009.

1. jrhbull

jrhbull Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2009
    I have this incubator and have hatched many times with it but ratio was maybe 50%-60% percent it is supposed to be PRE-SET to 99.5* well my thermometer always read 97* so now i changed the thermostat to setting 7 and now reads proper temp.Anyone else had this issue with this model?? I have my thermometer on my autoturn rack next to my eggs where do you place yours?? Any info would be appreciated.Thanks

2. JoanneNC

JoanneNC Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2007
    Hi, I have this model and I too had issues when I first got it. I know it is Pre-set and most say their's works great at that but I could never get the temp right. I ended up moving the setting up some and now it holds a steady 99.5-99.8 and have had great results. I use a Taylor digital thermometer and have it at the back
    of the incubator. I don't what works for others all I know is this has worked for me. Percentage of hatch could vary due to a lot of things, if your thermometer is right. if they are shipped eggs, etc.
    All I know is I love mine and would not trade it for anything, in fact I just bought a second one.
    Good luck with future hatches.

JoanneNC

3. jrhbull

Jan 23, 2009
    Thanks for the feedback.

4. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    I've only gotten roughly 50% hatch rate with my 1588. My temps were rarely up to 99 when I had eggs in there. I started my next hatch in my 1602, which I can change easily to get the temp I want. I'm going to try to change the temp in the 1588 and see if I can get better results with it. How did you change the setting?

5. jrhbull

Jan 23, 2009
    Thanks for the replies.I had to go into mine and switch the setting to #7 and now it is 99.5 perfect if anyone else has an issue try that setting.The main thing i was upset about was how it is advertised PRE SET reday to go well thats not the deal.Still needs some tweeking. Thanks again

6. CovenantCreek

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    Hmm....mine was always at the perfect temp until I put eggs in, then it would seem to struggle to stay at 98 or above. Have you put eggs in yet since changing the temp setting, and is it able to hold the temp consistently?

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    We turned our new one on at 2PM and after 6 hours it was still only at 95.

Changed the setting to 7 and it's up to 99.5 with Humidity steady at 58?

Think it will work?

Eggs go in tomorrow morning.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  8. CovenantCreek

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    Quote:let me know if it's able to hold the temp steady and not drop a couple of degrees after the eggs are in

9. jrhbull

Jan 23, 2009
    mine is located in my home and i live in SW Florida.I have it on setting #7 and it held 99.5 great.Now this morning the weather got cold down into high 30*'s and now its reading 98* what a pain in the a-- if you know what i mean.Its in my house whats the deal????

10. RockyToggRanch

RockyToggRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I have this model too. I had it filled to the walls (almost) for the last hatch and it was reading 98 before I put the eggs in. Then when full it was 102-103! I lowered the temp twice before it settled at 98. Now I have just 10 banty, 3 standard and 5 duck eggs and the temp was 97 for the first few days, but is now 98. We'll see what happens. I didn't adjust it at all from the last time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by