Hovabator or Little Giant?????????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bufforpingtons13, Jan 25, 2011.

1. bufforpingtons13

bufforpingtons13 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2010
    Which do you lIke better? I am looking at both.

2. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    I've only tried the LG, so I don't know if hova's are better, but I have no real complaints from mine...but I know most people here like hovabator better...makes me wonder what I am missing! Sorry, I'm not much help, I know. Good luck hatching!

3. kathydoolittle

kathydoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Pittsburg KS
    I think LG is junk.

4. Delta3013

Delta3013 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Harker Heights, TX
    Quote:The LG's work best in an area with a stable temp. and they key is to find the right temp. and leave it alone. It works for me so far.

5. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    If you haven't bought either yet, the Hovabator is well worth the extra few bucks. [​IMG]

6. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    My father-in-law gave me an LG for Christmas, so I hope it's good! This will be my first time incubating. It appears to be a simple set-up. I'd be happy to report when I complete my first hatch!

7. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    Every LG I have ever had, I have had to babysit ( I have had several, but usually only used them as hatcher, because 21 days of babysitting was a pain), or I would end up with fried eggs. The Hovabator Genesis was the all time best bator I have ever had, and I have even had a Sportsman....

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  8. Jessiewoodard57

Jessiewoodard57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    Bushnell, FL.
    I agree about the Gensis 1588. I put mine in lockdown yesterday at 5pm and here it is 730 pm the next day(day 19) and I have 18 hatched out and 6 pippes. I have 47 eggs in the bator and at the rate this hatch is going it will clearly be the best hatch I ever had! I owned the LG and the hovabator both forced air and I sold both and bought the gensis. I plan on buying another real soon!

9. Jessiewoodard57

Jessiewoodard57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    Bushnell, FL.
    I'll tell the rest of the story now. I was hatching out geese for a friend and when I went into lockdown I started collecting eggs from our New Hampshire Reds for the next hatch. I only have one roo in with 13 hens so I thought well we shall see how good he is. As I gathered the eggs I placed them in the egg turner sitting on our dinning room table. 6 days latter I cleaned the bator and put the turner in the bator along with 7 additional eggs. (I figured after I candled I could fill in the empty holes in the turner with the extras) I candled at 10 days and guess what only 1 egg was infertile. That is one awesome ROO. I put the additional eggs on the turner between the rails and turned them now and then. Day 18 lockdown so I candled again and as I got to the 6th egg I felt a crack and thought oh no must have happened because of the extra eggs on the rails. I put it back in the carton in the bator and continued on with the candling and then I found another "cracked" egg? I turned the overhead light on and found I had 6 pipped eggs on day 18! My son and I quickly but gentlely put the eggs back in the carton filled the water tray and locked it down. that was yesterday. half have hatched even though I thought I had screwed up my hatch. The 1588 is turely a set it and forget it bator. The temp was dead on 99.6 and I only had to fill the water tray every 3 to 5 days.

10. jm93030

jm93030 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Genesis 1588 are the best among Styrofoam incubator also if you can afford an egg turner , it will save you lot of trouble.

if you willing to spend the money

Brinsea incubators are the best

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by