hovabator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Serama Mama 4, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Serama Mama 4

Serama Mama 4 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2010
    does anyone have any feedback on the hovabator? i have the little giant now but it has proven to be total crap. out of 19 eggs only 1 could hatch.(and hasnt yet) i want something good that will hatch lots of eggs. is the hovabator good?[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    I love my Hovabator. It's 20 years old and still works great. I have 2 LGs and would trade them both out for a Hovabator if I could.

3. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    The Genesis Hovabator 1588 is great. I ran one all summer and had really good hatches. It is easy to use and easy to clean. I started with a Hovabator 1602. It was okay, but I found it hard to regulate temps and humidity in that one. It tended to fluctuate. The 1588 is very stable though.

Know that GFQ starts selling out in the spring. If you want one, go ahead and purchase it now. I think there was a month waiting period the first time I tried to buy one. GFQ has great customer service. Super, super nice folks.

4. Serama Mama 4

Serama Mama 4 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2010
    thanks for the info guys i appreciate it!!!!!!!!!!<3 <3

5. Lifesong Farm

Lifesong Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2010
    Noble County
    I got the 1602 for Christmas and DH also bought a fan to go with it. I have had it running for 5 days now and it hold temps fine. The first day and a half I had trouble adjusting it because it is touchy. I also noticed a difference when I added the fan on day 2. I feel that the fan is a must.

6. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Quote:Same here. My Hovabator is old and duct taped but still works great. I use H2O2 3% (Hydrogen Peroxide) instead of H2O (water) and my hatch rate improved.

7. ChookHappy

ChookHappy Dances with Chickens

Oct 12, 2009
    Petaluma, Ca
    We just picked up a used 2362N for christmas and we love it so far. It stablized nice and quickly and it's it seems fairly stable. We have 20 eggs in the turner atm and smooth sailing so far. The big window would be nice but we got a great price for it and it's circulated air.

8. Widget

Widget Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Limington, Maine
    I just ordered a Genesis 1588 with egg turner from Cutler Supply. Was going to wait a couple weeks but didn't want to take the chance of having it backordered until summer [​IMG]

9. Jessiewoodard57

Jessiewoodard57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    Bushnell, FL.
    The Genesis Hovabator 1588 is great. I ran one all summer and had really good hatches. It is easy to use and easy to clean. I started with a Hovabator 1602. It was okay, but I found it hard to regulate temps and humidity in that one. It tended to fluctuate. The 1588 is very stable though.

Know that GFQ starts selling out in the spring. If you want one, go ahead and purchase it now. I think there was a month waiting period the first time I tried to buy one. GFQ has great customer service. Super, super nice folks

I too had the 1602 and a LG sold both and bought a Genesis 1588 I love it!!!​

10. ekemily

ekemily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Fairhope, AL
    I recently had my first hatch with my brand new genesis 1588 and auto egg turner. It was awesome! The temps were very stable and I just added water once a week for humidity. Next time, however, I am going to try putting the eggs in cartons at lockdown and see how that works. My eggs were rolling everywhere at hatch time. I felt sorry for the little pips while their brothers and sisters played soccer with them. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by