Hovabator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by montain_dweller, Jan 22, 2014.

1. montain_dweller

montain_dweller Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2011
    Continental divide
    Can anyone tell me the model number of this hovabator? Also any suggestions for improving it, thermostat and humidity control?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    All it says on it is that it is a turbo fan model.
    I would really like for it to be a little more user friendly, curious what people have done to improve their hova bators

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Was it used or a new in box older model? It's the basic model 1602 with turbo fan, just an older product. There shouldn't be any problems with the thermostat. Why I ask if it's unused is the metal will fatigue in the first use so temp does slowly go down, needs bumping up a few times first incubation. Once that is taken care of it should hold perfect temp.

To control humidity you can use plastic wrap over a portion of lower well to reduce water surface area resulting in lower humidity. Humidity is effected by surface area not depth of water. Find what works to get your desired % and again, once you get it it will stay constant. I don't have turners so can just use a tumbler of water standing on the wire grid, I've a few tumblers of differing size, one of them always gets my desired humidity and together desired humidity for last three days.

3. montain_dweller

Mar 13, 2011
    Continental divide
    It was used. It holds temp ok, but my brinsea spot check shows a wider temp swing then I would like

4. montain_dweller

Mar 13, 2011
    Continental divide
    The incubator is working well enough to develop eggs, but I would like to make it as good as possible.
    This bator has two L shaped wells. When I fill the smaller one I get 50% on the wet bulb hygro.
    The temp is still swinging, I tried adding an extention to the adjuster so I can make small micro adjustments.
    I also placed the bator in a bow and wrapped that with a heavy blanket, in attempt of holding the heat a bit not stable.
    Any advice on this tricky cheap bator is greatly appreciated, I am using the turner.

5. Hounds51

Hounds51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2014
    Bethel PA
    Hear is some advice from Hova-Bator
    An Incubator is designed to bring normal room temperature to the desired temperature. Room temperture of 60°F. or below will reduce the temperature
    in the incubator. Room temperature change of 10°F. or more will change temperature in incubator & is more pronounced below a temperature of
    70°F. The location of the machine is important to successful operation. A room temperature from 70° to 80°F. is ideal, and fresh air without drafts is
    necessary. Be sure no direct sunlight strikes the incubator and that it sets level. A consistant room temperature within a few degrees is best.

Also you might live in high altitude so read this

Red vent plugs are located on the top of the incubator. These
    should be removed when the incubator is used at altitudes greater
    than 6000 feet above sea level. One or both may also be removed
    during or after the hatch if water drops appear on the window due
    to high humidity. This will help to dry the chicks and the incubator.
    If removing the plugs does not reduce the humidity enough, it may
    be necessary to prop up the top slightly, to facilitate drying. If so,
    be sure to maintain proper temperature. Alternately, the top may
    be removed quickly, and moisture wiped from the windows to aid
    drying. Replace the plugs after the chicks are removed.

6. montain_dweller

Mar 13, 2011
    Continental divide
    Thanks for the reply. I guess I will play with it until it's set at the ideal place. I just wish there was an easier way to control humidity in this without having to add two shot glasses if water daily.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by