Hovabotor 1602N temperature question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 1keegan, Jan 22, 2012.

1. 1keegan

1keegan Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2012
    Hello,
    We started 23 BLRW eggs late last night in a borrowed older Hovabator 1602N- still air, no turner.
    They're marked with X's and O's, and numbered.
    We've had trouble keeping the temperature consistent in the incubator. There was a small mercury type LG thermometer on a sheet of plastic in the bator, and we added a large dial household thermometer as well as a brand new small digital household thermometer/humidity unit. The LG thermometer that lays on top of the eggs will range from 99.5 to 102. When it hits 102, I turn the dial down slightly, when it's at 99, I turn it up slightly. But I'm constantly playing with it...it doesn't seem to stay at the same temperature irregardless of staying closed.
    The household thermometers both have read 96 all day, and the humidity says 47%.
    Granted, the household thermometers are laying on the wire mesh, not on top of an egg, and they are a bit further away from the disk temp. control.

1) Is this normal? Will it work to hatch eggs?
    2) Which thermometer would you rely on?
    3) What temperature would you aim for on the LG thermometer? The household ones?
    4) How would you arrange the eggs (other than away from the edges, which I've done) to help ensure the best hatch?

All suggestions would be welcomed!
    thanks

2. brijay2

brijay2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2009
    Waddell AZ
    I don't know but I am hoping someone answers you because I just bought a 1602n hovabator the other day to use for staggered hatches. I am hoping that If I give it 24 hrs to stabilize than it will work......[​IMG]

3. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    I have the same trouble with my incubator (same model as yours).

What I've done to try to regulate the temp is to put two to three closed containers of water in the incubator. These act as a sort of heat-sink, absorbing the heat and retaining it, which in turn, keeps the incubator temp constant.

Also, I wrapped my incubator in towels to keep the outside more insulated as well. I still have to be vigilant, and check the temp occasionally, but it seems to stay within 3 degrees of where I set it, which is perfect.

What you can also do is rotate your eggs around the incubator as well. This way, no egg is stuck in a hot or cool area of the bator for the entirety of the incubation.

hope that helps! I personally can't wait until I get a more high quality incubator.

4. JD4570

JD4570 Chillin' With My Peeps

How much are you turning it? Mine is about a half turn per half a degree. Also don't bump it, that can really get it way off.

5. 1keegan

Jan 11, 2012
    So maybe a couple of Rubbermaid sandwich containers of water, with the tops on- placed in the corners?

6. 1keegan

Jan 11, 2012
    About an eighth of a turn (45 degrees) results in about a 1-2 degree change.
    Have been real careful not to bump it; but need to find a good way to rest the lid as I open it to turn eggs

7. Tylerkaz@gmail.com

[email protected] Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2012
    Washougal, WA
    I have the same hova bator, and it gets more stable after 24 hrs. also you should install a fan, i put a 12v power source pc fan in mine, screw holes line up perfectly, and if the room temp isn't too cold the temp only varies like .2 degrease after its up to temp.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  8. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Yep yep, thats exactly what I did. One thing you might want to do to them, however, is to add a tiny bit of bleach to your containers before closing them. That way they don't start incubating bacteria/microbes that naturally occurs in water.

It's helped me tons with stablizing my incubator. I hope it helps you too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by