Hover eggs? Rooster playing Hide and Seek?!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenpiedpiper, Dec 14, 2008.

1. chickenpiedpiper

chickenpiedpiper Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    New Durham NH
    Ok, my little Japanese hen has been sitting for 3 weeks, so we figure we are getting close. I go away for 4 days, and Signif' Other takes care of everyone till I get back. When I leave, she has 6 under her. When I get back she has 4. He didnt take any from her nest, but when I had company this morning, and cracked a LOT of tiny eggs to make oodles of scrambled eggs, I got 5 eggs with different aged embryos inside! One was tiny but fully formed, the rest just the vieny saks with morphous blobs. Now no one else is setting, and He didnt take from her nest.... How are these eggs ending up in other nests to be collected, and put in the fridge?

I have now gone out and marked her eggs with pencil to tell what is what, and she is down to 3!! I am afraid to open any more, broke my heart to see the one! What do other people use to mark thier eggs? Do you write dates?

Other hens cant carry little eggs to thier own nests can they?

Help!

2. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    Other chickens can roll them over to their nest. That's probably whay happened.

3. chickenpiedpiper

chickenpiedpiper Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    New Durham NH
    the nests are all in seperate boxes, like pigeon holes in a wall, eggs cant roll from nest to nest... and my real question, is why so many in different states of development, wehn only one hen is setting? from what I have read on different posts, these were from 5-6 day old eggs to 2 week old embryos!

I just tried candeling her 3 eggs, and absolutely no light comes thru, does that mean they are full of chick? Should I seperate her from everyone else now? or do I still have a week, like I thought....

4. Bandana

Bandana Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd separate her. And, I think someone is having fun with you and your eggies. [​IMG]

5. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    I dont think the eggs you cracked open where the ones she was sitting on, you said she has been sitting for 3 weeks so the chicks should of been pretty formed getting ready for hatch (unless it died early in the shell) maybe the eggs got messed up in the begining

Yes when candling this far along you wont see much inside the egg, just a dark blob and the air sac.

Did you ask him if he found the eggs while you were gone in a box or on the floor ?

How were you storing the eggs ? In the fridge ? On a table ? Where they dead when you cracked them open or still developing?

Chickens can do weired things.... I read a post on here once about a chicken moving her eggs by putting them under her wing !!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by