How 2 care for new hatchlings

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by JazminesZoo, Nov 14, 2011.

1. JazminesZoo

JazminesZoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2011
    please I have read all kinds of posts ~ but I would appreciate any advice & steps to prepare for the rest o the new hatchlings, no advice to small or insignifgent. What to offer/move & when?
    Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I'm not sure exactly what you are asking.....are you incubating and you've had a couple of early hatches but are expecting more? If that is the case....the chicks can go for up to 72 hours after hatching without eating or drinking because the last thing they do before they hatch is absorb the remainder of the yolk. So if you don't want to open your incubator to remove them, its okay to wait a little while for more to hatch.

When you are ready to move them, have your brooder set up with a feeder, waterer (with marbles in it) and a heat lamp. Turn the heat lamp on a couple of hours before the move and set a thermometer under it so you can adjust it until the temp is just right. Once it is, open the incubator, grab the chicks, and put them in the brooder.

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Some people leave there chicks in the incubator until they dry out. I personally take them out and their shells and let them dry in a brooder box so they are not knocking all the other eggs around in the incubator.

I hatch in the styrofoam incubators.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. JazminesZoo

Sep 28, 2011
    Quote:THANK YOU !! That is exactly what I was wondering!
    Yes I have a few little ones hatching over the next 3 days (Quail) ~ Then the remainder all on the 25th

5. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Ohhhh okay....well, if they are quail then sorry to do this to you but I have to change my advice. Quail can't go as long as chicken chicks on the absorbed yolk. I wouldn't wait more than 12 hours after hatch to get them moved to a brooder. And, the marbles are all the more important because they are so much smaller that drowning is a higher possibility. Do you already have GBS (gamebird starter) on hand? Are they coturnix or another variety of quail? I only have experience with Coturnix. I used my coffee grinder to grind down the GBS to a powder for them for the first few days and served it in a jar lid. Later I heard some more experienced people on the forum say that Coturnix do okay on GBS even when its not ground so I probably didn't need to do that. If they are button quail you will want to do that though, I think.

Good luck and post pics when you get a chance!

6. JazminesZoo

Sep 28, 2011
    I have 14 babies, & 2 that are peeking out of their shell!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I am so happy for my little peeps!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by