How about a mix of shavings/straw?

ChickenOfSpades

Chirping
Apr 23, 2022
Lehi, Utah
There always seems to be some form of the straw vs shavings conversation happening around here. I've used chopped straw or sometimes flock fresh for about a year, and it's worked well. I do wish it was a bit more absorbent at times...so what about a mix of both?

I'll probably try it anyway, but figured I'd see if anyone else does this. 🐓

We've only used horse bedding pellets. We lay down about 3" in our coop every spring. Hugely absorbant. Zero smell, zero maintenance. The next spring, about 80% of them have turned to sawdust and pulverized chicken poo. We scoop that with a grain shovel and spread it in our garden and around trees, then spread a fresh batch of pellets good for another year.

We get ours at TSC (Tractor Supply) but any farm store carries them. If you want to try it, just make sure what you're buying is 100% pine.

I prefer to use pine straw in my house and nest boxes cause the chickens can't see it and leave it alone and bugs don't like it. In my runs though I'm struggling to find a combination of something that works for my area. In north Ga we tend to get so much rain in late winter into early spring that it just bogs all the things I've tried so far down. Currently I'm considering trying mulch or shavings.

Update: I've been using a blend of straw and pine shavings for almost two months and it's great. I highly recommend it. I just toss in some handfuls of each as needed and the keep has stayed dry and clean...I just eyeball it to get about 50/50. If it's been raining a bit or otherwise a bit more damp I just go a little heavier on the shavings. Coop has been fresh and clean.

Back
Top Bottom