How about a "Post pics of your breed" forum category.

barg

Songster
12 Years
Apr 27, 2007
Don't know if it’s possible but...
If you could make a Breed photo category, one that doesn’t allow responses.
People could just post pics of their birds and the subject line could be the breed and whatever else fits within the subject.
Within the body they could post the age sex where it originated etc...

But no responses allowed (if possible)
that way people could get a quick reference to compare.
See show birds VS pet quality, see pics of breeds at different ages, from various hatcheries, sexes as they looked at different ages.....or just show off their birds.

Eliminate allot of weeding through posts to try and find something to compare, and I’ve seen a few people doing this on this board and am guilty myself... thus the idea.

The real benefit of this is for the end user thats trying to search specificly for pics of chickens.
They would be able to specify the category, type in the breed and find exactly what they are looking for.

I hope this post is not contrary to you policy, it’s just a suggestion and you can delete it if you find it inappropriate.

Thanks
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Barg, it looks like you started a good trend in the Breeds section with your Wyandotte post. You can do it that way and it might be fun. If each breed had it's own thread and those interested posted pics and commented on quality, personality, etc, it would be very informative.

Agree, but you can't "not allow responses" or you wouldn't get any breed pics from others, which I think is what you want to see. Have fun with it and see how it goes.

Jody

Quote:
Not exactly what I'm suggesting. What I'm suggestingis a forum category, like the "breeds in general category".
Each post would be a single post thread.
Each person would need to start a new thread to post their pictures.
They could show a progression of a breed in a single post or they could show a single picture.
The point is, that with a single post and no responces it would make it easier to Search.

If you do a search now, try it yourself, search for a breed and see how many posts you come up with that really dont have anything to do with what your looking for.

All great information i'm sure but not specificly what you wanted.

The idea, good or bad, is a way to streamline the search for the end user.

Maybe people wont post pics of their birds if they arnt going to get any feedback on them, but I think they would
big_smile.png

And if you do want feedback, you can always post in a different category.

Its basicly a searchable image gallery that BYC dioesnt have to store all the pics on their server.

Your thoughts?

I'm new to this board but i see what you are saying. Another variation of that is make a new forum category for people to post pics, and if possible someone use the pictures for the main byc page in the breed section as that could use updating. It would be very neat if you could go to byc homepage click breed select orpingtons select buff and there are in order pics for day old week 1,week 2.......

Is that what you were thinking? if so that would be a great idea:D

Last edited:
I wasn't thinking of making it that much work for byc hehe.
The idea is , you log into the forum hit the search button and select the Breed pics category, then when you type the breed your looking for you get hits Primarily for that breed.
There would still be some problems due to peoples signitures being picked up, but even then, yould still hit on a person who has that breed.
But you could eliminate that by only searching the subject line and all subjects should say the breed name.

If you try it by searching the current forum categories, you get many false hits, even when you use the And Or etc...

I think your idea is great too, but that would be more work for the webmaster then just setting up a category, but if its do-able, I think it would be great
big_smile.png

Last edited:
it's a cute idea, but i think you'd have to enable replies, but have them monitored and strict as to only allow relevant information (standard/bantam, sex, age). we might have fifteen golden laced wyandottes on the forum that all look slightly different. the thread would say the breed, then the reply pictures would all be of that breed, so someone could see the variation.

or they coul just make a new post with their pics of that breed.
Either way would work if it could be enforced.
having no replies enabled would require less monitering from moderators.

Back
Top Bottom