How about an INNOVATIONS category?

Discussion in 'Website Announcements, Feedback, Issues, & Guides' started by chickenannie, Nov 15, 2008.

1. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    How about an "INNOVATIONS" category that would be for people to share something new they came up with...

Since a lot of knowledgeable people only share information in RESPONSE to people's questions, if we had an innovations category, they could post when they've "figured something new out." Or, if they were having problems with a chicken-raising situation, they could post how they solved it.

Those tidbits of knowledge are sometimes extrmely helpful to others, who may not be "asking the right questions" to get this info . and I don't know that this kind of info is being shared any other place.

Does this make sense?

Here's an example (maybe this isn't much of an innovation, but it solved my problems!): When my hens hatched baby chicks and were free-ranging, I couldn't figure out how to give them access to feed without being chased away or pecked at by adults at the feeders. And if I made a special place for the babies, the mothers would get frantic because they couldn't get inside. So my solution was to build a "see-through" wire pen with no bottom, put chick feeders in it, then raise it 3 inches off the ground by placing the corners on bricks. This way the chickies could run underneath, in and out, and eat all they wanted without getting chased away, and yet their mom could still see them and she wasn't having to call them away all the time.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2008
  2. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Never mind I came to see what the INVITATION was gonna be for, I was hopeing for a party, and I wanted to be first to RSVP [​IMG]

3. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Quote:[​IMG]

Sorry to disappoint! I wish I had an invitation for ya. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by