How about chain link?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Mikey D, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Mikey D

Mikey D Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Apache Junction AZ
    The title says it all.

I have 4 heavy duty chain link gates. There were rolling gates and are 7' x 8'. I was thinking about using them for the run. Will I have issues with younger chickens getting out or wild birds getting in? I'm planning on a treadle type feeder so I'm not worried about stolen food, just wild bird diseases.

Thoughts?

Mikey

2. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Chicks will definitely get through chain link. I have actually had day olds get through the chicken wire. Wild birds, if they are small enough can get through chain link as well.

3. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

I have chain link in the back of my run I ran 2 ft tall chicken wire along the bottom, works great. [​IMG]

4. DMRippy

DMRippy Pallet Queen Premium Member

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    I have chain link and the Cardinals have figured out the chicken feed on the other side!! I will have to put some netting on the inside to keep them out. I have chicken wire around the bottom. One layer on the outside of the fence and folded over so there is a foot on the ground to prevent critters from digging in and the same thing on the inside to keep chickens from getting out! The inside is under 3 inches of creek gravel. If I ever get chicks in there I may have to do something to keep them in too.

5. Mikey D

Jul 12, 2011
    Apache Junction AZ
    Quote:Thanks ESilkies. I figure on brooding them in the house (too hot in AZ ya know) and then putting them outside after several weeks.

Definately concerned 'bout the wild ones

6. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    The heat is horrible! Also, something to think about. If you do not put chicken wire or netting of some kind around the bottom of it, coons can reach right in and grab them. Of course I'm not sure you have coons [​IMG]

7. georgiagail

georgiagail Chillin' With My Peeps

We have chain link runs (dog kennels). The bottom 3' have hardware cloth attached. All have roofs of hardware cloth. I suppose wild birds could still enter through the remaining 3' of chain link but to date, haven't seen any (and I suspect the monster chickens would make a concerted run to eat them).

Gail

8. florida lee

florida lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Morriston,fl
    I have a chain link run and wild birds go in and out all the time......had to hang bird netting on the outside of it to keep wild birds out.

9. Mikey D

Jul 12, 2011
    Apache Junction AZ
    Quote:Thanks ESilkies,

No coons round here but coyotes. Haven't seen them in the back yard though... :prolleyes:

10. ladyride

ladyride Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    East Tn
    I have chain link around both of my coops but have put hardware mesh around the bottom with 1 ft toed in with rocks on top.Keeps chicks in preds out or digging in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by