How about either of these runs?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Chands, Mar 31, 2017.

1. Chands

Chands Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2017
    Michigan
    What do you guys think about using either of these runs? The rectangular one is 8 x 4, and the octagonal one is 7 x 7. I know we could build one for cheaper, but neither of us can build a bookshelf, let alone a chicken coop run. We're in the city, too, so we don't have a whole lot of room to work with, and we can't free range. It would be for 3-4 chickens.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002R0F04M

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E64HZAE

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    I just pick up 10x10x6ft used dog kennels off craigslist or FB for sale sites----usually for around $100/$125 if in great shape. I used 6 free pallets to make a roosting coop---2 used pieces of tin for the top---about $10, Sure you can dress up the coops for looks if you want. This pic is a double. I got about $200 in 2 coops and 2 10x10x6ft tall joined coops/runs.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  3. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Duplicate

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  4. Chands

Mar 24, 2017
    Michigan
    That's a great idea. I've been stalking Craigslist and haven't found anything, but I'll keep looking. My little ones are a week old, so I have some time. I'm just anxious to get everything set up!

5. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    Actually I had been looking at the first one you linked when I was in the market for a moveable enclosure, until I realized it was way to heavy to move around despite the small footprint - but it is on the small side for the price IMO. I second the recommendation for a 10x10 standard dog kennel, which you can buy a cover for, as that should be a little cheaper and give your flock more room (provided there's room in your yard for it)

Keep in mind that with either of the options you listed or with a dog kennel, you may still need to do some work. I'd mainly recommend that you put a hardware cloth apron around it, easy to do and not terribly expensive, but good bonus protection against certain predators and pests.

6. Chands

Mar 24, 2017
    Michigan
    Well, someone ended up giving me one of those TSC specials they used for a year, so now I'm looking at expanding the coop part on top, and getting a 10 x 10 run to go around it. For the coop, I'm thinking about making the whole top the coop, instead of the bottom, and then covering part of the bottom for the winter (Michigan stinks sometimes). That should be doable if I have Home Depot cut the wood, right?. That will give the chickens more room, at least for now.

The end goal will probably be one of those sheds with a run attached, and then I can use this one as a grow out pen, I think it was called.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by