How about leftover Greek salad...?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kermujin, Aug 2, 2011.

1. kermujin

kermujin New Egg

Apr 15, 2011
    I can't see why this would be a problem to feed the girls? The dressing is just olive oil and balsamic vinegar, and it has olives, feta, tomato, cuke and the odd bit of onion. Any reason they shouldn't get this? It's not gone bad, it's jus a bit mushy from being in the fridge about two days longer than it should have been...

2. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    My girls love to share my dark green salads with a lot of fixin's (especially cheese) but if it's been stored in the frig too long, like any of it is soggy or spoiled (mushy) ,and I wouldn't eat it, my girls don't get it. Sometimes I've put some great salad in the frig meaning to give it to them, then a couple of days go by and it's too late to feed it to them. I had good intentions in saving it for them, though.

Oh, and [​IMG].

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I agree with dewey,

I give mine anything I would eat.

In the case of Greek salad I'd have to throw away the Kalamata olives.

Imp- get the idea that Imp does not like Kalamata olives. [​IMG]

4. dewey

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    Isn't that funny, here not an olive [​IMG] usually makes it to the girls...unless it's chopped, lol.

5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I love black olives, but any pickled ones gag me; green, purple, kalamatas etc.

To the OP (kermujin) olives are just fine for chickens.

Imp- just in case there was any confusion. [​IMG]

6. dewey

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    Yep, they love them all. I learned to never allow my grand kids out near the girls when grandma just stuck black olives on each one of their fingertips. [​IMG]

7. henparty3

henparty3 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2011
    no such thing as left over greek salad at our house, but i am sure the hens would love it too

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by