How about this one?

new2dotties

Chirping
Feb 28, 2016

This is my 3-4 week old silver laced wyandotte. I'm hoping for a roo, he has a short tail and tons of white on him, compared to his bigger hopefully sister who have a looong tail and less color

Looks to be a possible rooster with what seems to be quite a bit of red on the face. Have any more pictures? Mainly of face, neck, back areas.
We want to look for hackle and saddle feathers and larger red comb.
Since he looks like he is not feathered out completely, it may be to soon to tell by te feathers.

These two pics were several days ago, maybe a week ago, his comb and wattles are already a bit bigger and more red, and yes a single comb! He's just gonna be a big beautiful pet!

I agree it looks like a roo, with the patchy coloring and large single comb at this age. He should be a pretty boy as most SLW are, but as another poster said not good for breeding, which you are not planning to do.

Forgive me, but since you are a "newbie" here, I have to ask if you are aware that most roo's don't make good "pets." Wyandottes can be a more assertive breed too.

Handle him a lot as a chick offering treats and letting him run over your hands, and don't put up with any aggression as he grows. You may see a change in his behavior as the hormones kick in around 12 to 16 weeks. There can be a lot of personality difference in roosters, even with siblings, so only keep roosters that are mellow from the start and continue to recognize you as the leader as they get older. It helps to let the hens out but hold the rooster back. I would pick my boy up and let the girls out when he was a teen. He was not happy at first, but never attacked me (unlike his brother who was rehomed). My Barnevelder has been mellow from the start (unlike a multitude of other roos I've had and either eaten or re-homed). I then daily would pick him up to let the girls out and treated him while I held him (he loves dethawed frozen corn). He is now very mellow and I can pick him up when I need to and do not fear him attacking me when I am in the yard with the hens.

You will also need to consider what to do with the spurs when they grow long enough to be a problem (there are some good videos and articles her on BYC for trimming spurs when the time is right).

And while you don't plan to "breed," unless you keep him separate from your hens he will mate. If you only have a few hens, he may be too much for them as generally 1 rooster to 10 hens is a good ratio.

Just in case you weren't aware of being prepared to deal with a rooster.

LofMc

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom