How about this? Pigs?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Horsea, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Horsea

Horsea In the Brooder

Jul 5, 2008
    Canada
    Just today an acquaintance advised me that I could protect my free ranging flocks by introducing a...PIG. Apparently predators of all kinds are scared of pigs. [​IMG]

Well, I thought that was kind of unusual, so I looked up PIG on this forum.

Some here say that not only is a pig not a protector, it might even EAT THE CHICKENS.

Now I have heard everything.

2. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    I was told my my Dept. of Ag that pigs spread a deadly disease to chickens that can kill people. I forgot what it is called. Call & ask your Dept. of Ag. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  3. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Songster

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    Pigs will eat anything they can catch, even chickens.

4. Horsea

Horsea In the Brooder

Jul 5, 2008
    Canada
    Quote:And I used to think that chickens were mainly herbivores - until I started raising a backyard flock. I have seen mine go after mice; chase my cats; and somehow swallow giant insects.

But pigs eating anything they can catch? I am truly disbelieving. [​IMG]

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:And I used to think that chickens were mainly herbivores - until I started raising a backyard flock. I have seen mine go after mice; chase my cats; and somehow swallow giant insects.

Pigs are omnivores, and can be VERY DANGEROUS. Yes, they will eat chickens, cats, smaller dogs, anything they can catch. Ever heard of a wild boar? Guess what it is...a pig. Ever heard of javelina? Guess what it is...a pig. People think Porky Pig, and cute, or fat smelly mudwallowers, but pigs can be very aggressive creatures.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member 9 Years

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Don't fall down in the pig pen or you will be dinner. If you have ever been around pigs, you know they are intelligent, inquisitive, and voracious. While pigs may associate peacefully with chickens once one figures out that they taste good, friendship is over and dinner is on.

7. Ondra's Seramas

Ondra's Seramas Drowning in Seramas

Feb 19, 2009
    North Central WA

Pigs are omnivores, and can be VERY DANGEROUS. Yes, they will eat chickens, cats, smaller dogs, anything they can catch. Ever heard of a wild boar? Guess what it is...a pig. Ever heard of javelina? Guess what it is...a pig. People think Porky Pig, and cute, or fat smelly mudwallowers, but pigs can be very aggressive creatures.

Some friends of mine had their pigs eat one of their cats.

8. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    A friend of mine has a pot belly pig that has killed several ducks. They are very dangerous

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: