How accurate is voice sexing?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jenniferlamar70, Jun 20, 2016.

1. jenniferlamar70

jenniferlamar70 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2016
    Northern California
    Just curious. My 3 ducks have very different quacks. They are very obvious who is who. My black swedish has some masculine feathering though it quacks like a duck. Which method should I trust?

2. Ducks4us

Ducks4us Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2015
    North Idaho
    My first set of ducklings this year were spot on when it came to sexing by voices.
    The second set of pekins... I kept one who quacked real loud and sounded like a girl and turned out to be a boy.
    So i am not super experienced.... But for what its worth, i wouldnt rely completly on voice.

3. jenniferlamar70

Apr 24, 2016
    Northern California
    Lol ok thanks. I've not owned swedish before so I can't say the difference between males and females feathers but the girl look suspicious. Mine are still young so I could be wrong but I wasn't sure lol. :)

Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
  4. Welshies

Welshies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    What are the breeds? Don't know about Swedish but so far my voice sexing seems to be accurate. I have two hens quacking- loudly- and one that is quiet. He has a green sheen to his head and is definitely a male- beautiful breeding drake. :)

5. jenniferlamar70

Apr 24, 2016
    Northern California
    I have a blue swedish, a black swedish and a mallard. The mallard is most definitely a boy and so is the blue swedish. They already are getting the drake curl. My black swedish has no drake feather and quacks but she is getting some beetle sheen on her head and wings. I've tried googling but can't find anything on it lol..

6. Welshies

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    Well I have four rouens and two rouen crosses. My drake has a green shine, but his head won't turn green for a bit yet. [​IMG] I have one possible hen that has a slightly green shine, and I've heard it quack perhaps once, but I think it may be a male as it is quiet. I need to separate them again and try to voice sex the uncertainties. [​IMG] So frustrating when you forget!

7. Ducks4us

Ducks4us Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2015
    North Idaho
    My black swedish was a boy... However i was told girls also have the green sheen. Boys get a dark green head tho

8. Welshies

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    My Rouens didn't have much green. Not the same breed, but similar with that sheen. Two have it, and one is for sure a male, and the other, I have no idea.[​IMG]

9. jenniferlamar70

Apr 24, 2016
    Northern California
    Whoops I meant rouen not mallard. He is the sweetest guy lol. H

10. jenniferlamar70

Apr 24, 2016
    Northern California
    I heard that too. That's why I'm unsure what the difference is? Maybe the boys feathers are just darker? I'm hoping mine is a girl otherwise I'll have 3 boys. :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by