How Accurate is Wing Feather Sexing?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rhino533, May 15, 2011.

1. rhino533

rhino533 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Thailand
    How accurate is wing feather sexing for 1-2day old Red Sex Link Chicks?

2. rebel-rousing-at-night

rebel-rousing-at-night Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I don't know about feather sexing but one of the purposes of having sex linked chickens is that you can tell the sex of the chicks at birth. That is why they are called sex linked.

3. rhino533

Apr 21, 2011
    Thailand
    Quote:I don't know about feather sexing but one of the purposes of having sex linked chickens is that you can tell the sex of the chicks at birth. That is why they are called sex linked.

What about red sex link Chicks that's mostly yellow with a red ring on there necks. Would you say they are female. I checked the wing feathers and with no question they had a female pattern to them. I would say there female right? The 1 male chick I have is fully yellow and the wing feather patter is like a male.

4. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.

X2 the males should hatch out white and the chicks a golden color!! (I think) Check out http://feathersite.com/Poultry/BRKPoultryPage.html#Chickens for more information on them!! [​IMG]

5. rebel-rousing-at-night

X2 the males should hatch out white and the chicks a golden color!! (I think) Check out http://feathersite.com/Poultry/BRKPoultryPage.html#Chickens for more information on them!! [​IMG]

I hope you were able to go on Feathersite for the info on sex linked chickens. If the parents of your chick are a specific color combination such as suggested on Feathersite, then you will be able to tell the sex of the chicks.
    I hope this helps!

6. rhino533

Apr 21, 2011
    Thailand
    Quote:X2 the males should hatch out white and the chicks a golden color!! (I think) Check out http://feathersite.com/Poultry/BRKPoultryPage.html#Chickens for more information on them!! [​IMG]

I hope you were able to go on Feathersite for the info on sex linked chickens. If the parents of your chick are a specific color combination such as suggested on Feathersite, then you will be able to tell the sex of the chicks.
    I hope this helps!

Ok I'm some what confident on the sex of my 4 chicks.

1 is for sure a male it's white/yellow with no buff color
    1 is for sure a hen it's buff color
    2 I thought I was sure were Hens but now not so sure. They are white/yellow with a buff color ring around the neck. This would be female right? or male

I wing sexed them and 3 had female wing feather patterns and 1 had a male pattern (The all white/yellow chick) Now I'm not so sure wing sexing will work with these chicks or not. I'm so confused. hehe

7. rebel-rousing-at-night

Quote:I hope you were able to go on Feathersite for the info on sex linked chickens. If the parents of your chick are a specific color combination such as suggested on Feathersite, then you will be able to tell the sex of the chicks.
    I hope this helps!

Ok I'm some what confident on the sex of my 4 chicks.

2 I thought I was sure were Hens but now not so sure. They are white/yellow with a buff color ring around the neck. This would be female right? or male

I wing sexed them and 3 had female wing feather patterns and 1 had a male pattern (The all white/yellow chick) Now I'm not so sure wing sexing will work with these chicks or not. I'm so confused. hehe

I know so much of this can be so confusing. The sex link gene only works when using specific color combinations of the parents.I don't know all the specifics in chickens like so many here do.

It has to do with one parent being red such as New Hampshire and the other parent being silver based such as Barred Rock. If the parents to your chicks were not of this combo I don't think they will be sex linked as in able to tell the boys from the girls at hatch.

Let me explain sex linked in the terms I know and maybe it will help. Sometimes a different example helps with understanding terms.

Here's how sex linked works with cats: The ONLY way you can get a red or cream female kitten is this:The father must be in the red family.

I could breed 100 female cats that are in the red family with a male that is black,blue,silver,etc. with or without white and I would NEVER get a female kitten born cream or red.I would be able to get males of the red color family only.

It is because in cats the red color for females is SEX LINKED. Kittens born from red family female cats that are born in the red family color will ALWAYS be a male unless the father is of the red color family.

I hope this helps you. Sometimes the only way I can get an understanding of how something works is with a different example.

If you still don't understand your question will be answered by some of the TRUE experts here.
    Let me add I'm not the best at explaining things so just keep asking. People here love to answer questions like this. [​IMG]

8. rhino533

Apr 21, 2011
    Thailand
    Quote:Ok I'm some what confident on the sex of my 4 chicks.

I know so much of this can be so confusing. The sex link gene only works when using specific color combinations of the parents.I don't know all the specifics in chickens like so many here do.

It has to do with one parent being red such as New Hampshire and the other parent being silver based such as Barred Rock. If the parents to your chicks were not of this combo I don't think they will be sex linked as in able to tell the boys from the girls at hatch.

Let me explain sex linked in the terms I know and maybe it will help. Sometimes a different example helps with understanding terms.

Here's how sex linked works with cats: The ONLY way you can get a red or cream female kitten is this:The father must be in the red family.

I could breed 100 female cats that are in the red family with a male that is black,blue,silver,etc. with or without white and I would NEVER get a female kitten born cream or red.I would be able to get males of the red color family only.

It is because in cats the red color for females is SEX LINKED. Kittens born from red family female cats that are born in the red family color will ALWAYS be a male unless the father is of the red color family.

I hope this helps you. Sometimes the only way I can get an understanding of how something works is with a different example.

If you still don't understand your question will be answered by some of the TRUE experts here.
    Let me add I'm not the best at explaining things so just keep asking. People here love to answer questions like this. [​IMG]

I think get what you’re saying:

I would need a rode island red rooster and lets say a Delaware hen to have true sex link chicks. This would produce buff colored female chicks and white/yellow males.
    Maybe I don't have sex linked chickens like I thought. I believe my Roos and Hens are both mixed RIR and Delaware. So that would mean they aren't truly sex linked because they are both mixed, am I right? The chicks could come out any color and could be either male or female. Couldn’t they?

So would this make wing feather sex checking harder or you can't check the wing feathers because of the mixed breed?

Please bear with me I'm trying to learn this so I won't have to ask it again. THANKS SO MUCH!!!

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  9. rebel-rousing-at-night

Quote:

I think get what you’re saying:

I would need a rode island red rooster and lets say a Delaware hen to have true sex link chicks. This would produce buff colored female chicks and white/yellow males.
    Maybe I don't have sex linked chickens like I thought. I believe my Roos and Hens are both mixed RIR and Delaware. So that would mean they aren't truly sex linked because they are both mixed, am I right? The chicks could come out any color and could be either male or female. Couldn’t they?

So would this make wing feather sex checking harder or you can't check the wing feathers because of the mixed breed?

Please bear with me I'm trying to learn this so I won't have to ask it again. THANKS SO MUCH!!!

Don't worry about your questions here.This site is for learning about chickens. I just wish I could be specific in about which color for the male and which color for the female. You see I only know a little about a lot. Just enough to be dangerous. LOL

Anyway some ppl swear by feather sexing and some say that certain breeds feather out differently so it would not work in those breeds. See...I just know a little because I couldn't name the slow feathering breeds at all. Heck I laugh at my own bits and pieces of knowledge.

I do know that it is said that chicks that are born as sex linked will not breed true as in you can't breed two sex linked chicks and produce more sex linked chicks.

It's things like this that keeps it interesting. [​IMG]

10. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

If the parent stock was slightly mixed breeds, then the sex linking of the offspring, by color at hatch, can be suspicious. Yes, a pure RIR rooster over a Delaware hen will produce true sex-links at hatch. Males will be white, while females will be buff.

You probably are right. 3 pullets and 1 rooster. Time will tell.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by