How active should they be?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by flmom2boys, Jan 9, 2009.

1. flmom2boys

flmom2boys New Egg

Jul 14, 2008
    SW Florida
    I have been perusing these boards for months and have learned so much! We finally took the plunge, but...

Yesterday I purchased 4 black sexlinks that were just delivered as day-old chicks to the feed store at noon. They were peeping and quite active all afternoon and evening, eating/drinking/pooping a bunch, then settled down and slept. This morning they don't seem very active at all. Mostly just laying around.

I've seen them eat a bit, but I'm just surprised they're not peeping and eating/drinking much now. I have a light and they do seem to be snuggling under it. The feeder/waterer took up more space than I thought, so I'm going to get a bigger box to be my brooder today.

So, my questions are:
    Should they be more active? If so, what can I look for as signs of any problems that are causing them to be so calm/quiet?

My husband says I'm overreacting - just being a mother hen :) LOL

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. natalie1136

natalie1136 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2009
    Dennison Illinois
    Baby chicks sleep alot. If they are bunched up under the light they may be a little cool. This is just my opinoin but i would wait a little while to see if they perk up.

3. flmom2boys

flmom2boys New Egg

Jul 14, 2008
    SW Florida
    Thanks for answering so quickly...I'll keep watching them.

4. Felicitas

Felicitas Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I agree with this. My chicks are much more active now, at a little over a week old, than they were the first few days after they hatched. Adjust the light a little more downward and watch their behavior. If they are sleeping side-by-side, it's a good thing. If they are piling up on each other to sleep, they're probably too cold.

5. Griffox

Griffox Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    Harrodsburg, KY
    You can also add a little sugar to their water, though I prefer the electrolyte/vitamin powder for poultry.

When you pick them up are they limp? or do they scatter and CHEEP! Cheep!

Limp chick, I would worry, otherwise they're probably just recharging so they can start driving you nuts. [​IMG]

6. flmom2boys

flmom2boys New Egg

Jul 14, 2008
    SW Florida
    They are active when I try to pick them up and they do start cheeping. I've been gone for a few hours (couldn't be avoided), and wondered what I'd find when I got home. They all seem to be fine.

They sleep side-by-side, not on top of each other, so I guess everything's good [​IMG]

We're getting ready to move them to a bigger "house" right now.

7. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm glad they are doing well [​IMG]

And thanks for asking...I love reading all the questions and answers. I know I will have so many questions when I get mine!

8. futurefarmer08

futurefarmer08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    near Sac. Ca
    Yeah when mine first hatched and subsequent days I was so worried! I would go in there and was sure that they were dead because of the awkward position that they were laying in. As soon as they realized I was there though they started cheeping. I think for the first few days their neck muscles aren't that strong and they do sleep a lot. Your's seem fine! I was a nervous mama chicken too.[​IMG] I am glad they are doing well. Everyone on this site kept me sane. [​IMG]

9. momofdrew

momofdrew Chillin' With My Peeps

The trauma of birth and being shipped off to a store and then brought to someplace else I'd be tired too...keep them warm fed and watered and they should be fine... by the way [​IMG]

10. flmom2boys

flmom2boys New Egg

Jul 14, 2008
    SW Florida
    Thanks for the welcome! Today they are 4 days old, and I can't believe how I can see their growth almost daily! They are so cute! One keeps trying to fly. I guess I'll need to put a perch in at some point.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by