How am I going to move them?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mrkep, Jul 3, 2010.

1. mrkep

mrkep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2010
    Richwood , Ohio
    I have been reading the posts about socializing and befriending the chicks. Mine are 4 weeks old and I would like to move them to their new coop . But.... they will NOT allow me to pick them up without a long chase and then a lot of fussing if I do catch one. They run right up to me when I say hi and will take treats from my hand, if I hold it still, but if I make the slightest move, they all run away. I am concerned that if I try to corral them it will stress them out and some may die.
    All suggestions gratefully accepted, you all have helped me so much with all other questions that have come up.
    Thanks, mrkep[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 3, 2010
  2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

3 words..... GET A NET. I've found they are a must! [​IMG]

3. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Just do it at night. It's no problem at all to catch them when they're asleep. [​IMG]

4. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    I use some fine hardware cloth in a circle. They are hard to catch and you do not want to chase them.
    Caroline

5. write2caroline

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    What breed are they? I was just curious.
    Caroline

6. mrkep

mrkep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2010
    Richwood , Ohio
    Hi Caroline,
    They are Buckeyes.

7. MKKimmen

MKKimmen Out Of The Brooder

What breed are these? Isa Browns?

8. Tigerjane

Tigerjane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Pflugerville, TX
    Oh wow, this was something I hadn't considered. I'm [planning on using a chicken tractor to let me chicks free-range for a bit each day from the time they're a few days old, and had planned on manually picking them up and putting them in. Guess I may need to look into a net. Do they ever get their legs or wings caught on the net and get hurt, if they're all in a panic?

9. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

They'll get hung up, but very easy to get out. I've never hurt a bird from netting. A fishing net with a 4' handle is what I use.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2010
  10. write2caroline

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    They are really Feathering out beautifully - When I had to move my chicks - I put them in a cat carrier and moved them out to the run or to the coop. It might help you to take them from the broody bin to the new coop. In a pinch I move them two at a time one in each hand. I have some older chicks in one coop who escape but they are fine running about the place now. (May 10 hatching) Sometimes I have to corral them with the hardware cloth - I should call them all houdini!
    Caroline

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by