How am I to keep my ducks warm???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Goat Lover 3, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Goat Lover 3

Goat Lover 3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2013
    This is the first winter I have had with my pair of Ancona ducks. I'm just wondering how exactally do I keep them warm? It can get really COLD here in the winter. It's snowing where I am at right now. How do ducks keep their feet warm? Should I give them all they want in the winter?
    Also, wondering about getting a couple female chickens this spring. I saw somewhere on the internet that my drake could kill the chickens if he trys to mate with them! Is this true???

Thanks for all your help! :)

2. joelharris

joelharris Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't no what you could do for your ducks, a heat lamp may be ok. and yes drakes can kill chickens when trying to mate.

3. Goat Lover 3

Apr 21, 2013
    Thank you. :)

4. BirdNerd101

BirdNerd101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2013
    My Coop
    you don't have to worry about their feet, because they don't have nerves in their webbing. last night it was -45C With windchill, so it was cold but my ducks are fine. I have an insulated coop, lots of straw, 10 ducks and a heat lamp. ducks are pretty hardy so you don't have to worry about it too much
    Jaxon

5. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Good diet, solid, draft free, well vented housing. Most ducks can tolerate the cold given those options. I don't heat my ducks, my main barn is well bedded, and naturally insulated ... I keep a couple of feeds out, whole corn and a complete 17% pro diet, plus they can forage and find whatever maybe out there still.

Heat lamps, depends, they can be of great concern, why? you keep that temp raised and suddenly loose hydro you can face some serious situations, a rapid drop in temp can make birds ill or even die, they also simply don't build the down/feathers that they should without being properly acclimatized .

As for chickens, yes the possibility of drakes mating chickens is real, they can cause harm and death. I do have my standard chickens free ranging where my big duck flock is which includes drakes BUT they have females of their own, i am always watching, so far so good but it's not an issue to be ignored.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
    2 people like this.
  6. Goat Lover 3

Apr 21, 2013
    One night the temperature got a low as 10F! I thought my ducks would be warmer if I locked them in the nesting box. My dad went outside that night to check on the ducks for me, and the small windows in the nesting box were dripping wetness! He opened the door so they could get fresh air.
    I put a lot of straw in the bottom and in the nesting box. My ducks do keep their feathers ruffled all the time. They also lay on their feet as much as possible (I'm guessing to keep them warm).
    Another question I have is could my ducks be molting this time of year? My hen has a few tail feathers missing and looks all ruffled? My drake also has a couple feathers hanging on his side. A few weeks ago the coop, bathing water, and the ground was covered in feathers!

[​IMG]

This is what my coop looks like. Except I don't have the all the ducklings anymore, and the bottom of the coop now has a lot of straw in it.

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  8. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  9. Goat Lover 3

Apr 21, 2013
    Thanks! The windows in my coop are not wire. Just plain windows. There is a little bit of ventilation in the box. I let my ducks be able to get in the nesting box and walk down the ramp into the bottom part of the coop at night. So, if they need ventilation they can walk down to the bottom part. Thanks for the information! :)

10. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Sounds good, with her roos we close the door... but the venting is decent... it was -22C/-7.6F(ACTUAL) this am they were okay... i have no idea what it was overnight likely colder..

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by