How and how much petroleum jelly to apply for leg scale mites??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TwoCrows, Jul 3, 2011.

1. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there,

After just reading another post here about leg scale mites, I am sure one of my quail has this issue. He has been favoring one leg for a few weeks and I can see that his scales are raised. The bottoms of his feet look crusty.

So as suggested in another post, I got some vasiline, and rubbed his legs down and the bottoms of his feet. It is not on all that thick, so my question is, how thick to you apply it, and then do I need to reapply it later today, tomorrow or what? How long does it take to kill these mites thru suffocation?

I checked the rest of the flock and nobody else seems to be suffering from mites.

Thanks for any info. [​IMG]

2. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I prefer vegetable oil as it gets in the cracks better. Just rub it on once every few days. The goal is to smother them and then the oil or vaseline will help loosen the crud. You may want to dust the area a bit with seven dust.
    sharon

3. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Thanks on the tips! I think I will try the veggie oil as I have noticed that it seems the vaseline seems nearly gone already. I also sprayed with some "Scalex" and cleaned out the bedding and powdered with Sevin Dust. Also putting Sevin in the dusting pan.

I recently powdered everything down about a month ago, so is this something I need to do monthly, 6 months, yearly?

Thanks. [​IMG]

4. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Mine have never had it but after dealing with the rescue chickens that I treated I plan to oil mine (just dip the legs and let them go) about once every 6 months as a preventative.
    sharon

5. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Thank you Sharon, you have been of GREAT help. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by