How and should I change ducklings feed... medicated to non medicated

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by AliciaDuckLady, Nov 5, 2013.

1. AliciaDuckLady

AliciaDuckLady Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hello!

Having ducklings for the first time I want to do the right thing for them. We were given Kewpie Hi Spec Chick Mash from the produce we purchased them from. It is medicated, though on the product summary from the supplier states it is also suitable for ducks. Today I have started sprinkling brewers yeast on top of their feed. They are one week old. Three questions really...

Should I change their feed to non medicated game bird starter?

If so, how do I change the feed over without causing any digestion problems?

Should I be giving my sweets chick grit?

[​IMG]

Thank you!

2. DStewart PDX

DStewart PDX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    I'm not that experienced with ducks, having just done one batch. A couple of things. I have never given any young birds medicated feed. I've also just switched feeds without any worry. They do need grit. I have never supplemented grit. I just let mine get it outside. If your ducklings aren't going outside, though, they need grit. Also, very young ducklings can drown, so make sure they can't access water that is very deep for them.

3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    There is some good info here

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711

Generally, medicated is not recommend, at one time completely against, nowadays there are different meds some okay, some still not, i have always raised mine either on a multi purpose(so like an all flock) or a duck starter, i don't even feed medicated to my chickens lol. That sticky link i gave you will answer your questions.

Cute little ones! [​IMG]

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Go with your instincts on changing feed. I avoided medicated starter, but have read that if the medication is amprolium, that ought to do no harm.

If you decide to change over, I would add 20% new feed to the old for a couple of days, then 40%, 60%, 80%, etc. till the switch was complete.

Based on Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks, I started adding a pinch of chick size grit to my ducklings' food starting at about two days old.

I kept that up until they were outdoors most of the time.

1 person likes this.
  5. AliciaDuckLady

AliciaDuckLady Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    Thank you, I slowly changed over the good and incorporated brewers yeast. Finding it hard to find chick grit but will keep looking. First time ducklings are a full time job :) Not a bad one though :)

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    [​IMG]
    Some folks use just a little sand. I think it was Miss Lydia who would bring in a bit of grass with the soil attached. That works if you know your yard hasn't had poisons used on it.

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Very true A, I would place a good scoop of dirt with grass attached to it in the brooder oh my gosh do the chicks and ducklings love to get into it. If you have a pet department in your grocery store and they carry cage bird food you'll probably find grit in a box there since all caged birds need grit.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by