How and When I can play wiht my chicks.

SwanKeeper

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 20, 2010
OK so, I am a total noob, and was wondering. 1) When can I start playing wiht my newlly delivered baby silkies? 2) How do you play with or cuddle chicks?
Fanks everyone,
SwanKeeper

I would just give them a little time to settle in, then I'd play with them! Its lots of fun, and they love you for it!
thumbsup.gif
enjoy!

Oh ok, like a day or a few hours? I got them this morning and they have been eating a sleeping and peeping all day
big_smile.png
. The cutness is killing me a little at a time, just want to snuggle tehehe. OK I will wait. *grumbles* Thanks much

I'm a pet tamer from way back-this is what I did with my chickens:

Start with a small brooder so that you don't have to 'chase' the chicks with your hand to pick them up. Talk softly while you are approching the brooder, move slowly and put your hand in slowly, palm up. Slip your hand under the chick's tummy, cup your other hand over her and lift her gently to the area of your chest just under you chin. You want your hands to sort of form an 'egg' around the chick with her head sticking out. NOW THE IMPORTANT PART: Allow warm air to envelope the area around the chick in the 'egg' formed by your hands by putting your mouth just above the chick and using sort of a 'haaaaaaaaaaaah' breath. They tend to relax immediately. When they relax and sit down in your hand, you can then use your thumb or forefinger to gently stroke the area behind the little ears and back of the neck. They learn quickly that your hand is a good thing. Do this several times a day with each one.

If your brooder isn't small, try this trick to lure them to your hand; make a small dark dot on your palm to entice them to come 'peck the dot'. Once one starts, usually several others will join in. It becomes a competition for them and before they know it they are gently lifted off the ground. I don't use real food; I prefer that they learn from the start that 'hands are for loving'.

When I was little, I remember my mother telling me not to handle the chicks; it would make them sick. Obviously, that was not the case (she didn't want me to get dirty). I'm not sure but I think I was an adult before I figured this out. So its OK; you can handle your chicks - just be gentle -they're so tiny....

Oh thank ya'll for all the help. Making an egg shape with my hands really makes sence. OK I will wait it out untill tomorrow and then cuddle them like crazzy.
tongue.png
Thanks again Oh and nearly all thier fluff should be gone if I've done a good job kissing, got it.
wink.png

Last edited:
I found out today that all my chickys want to do is suggle and sleep. I cup my hands around them and blow some warm air on them and in about one quarter of a second they are asleep. The cutest thing I have ever experianced.

And, my mom has an adult silkie that we put eggs under and one hatched today! We think it might be a splash. It is so cute too!

Rant over

I'm so glad the 'warm egg' trick worked for you! I don't know if anybody else does it, but it sure puts them at ease. Enjoy your babies!

Back
Top Bottom