how and where to add on to my very small coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by dodochick92, Jan 6, 2015.

1. dodochick92

dodochick92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2014
    portland maine
    [​IMG]I am sort of new to the world of chickens. I have a prefab coop from pawhut that i purchased for $180 on amazon. It looked like it would have been a good coop for 4-6 chickens but when it got here and I assembled it i was sort of disappointed because it was smaller than it looked. Granted i only have one hen and one rooster, but still it seems even too small for them. I need some advice ASAP on how to build onto or expand my coop. I have no idea where to begin.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Go to the coops tab and then find a coop big enough for the # of birds you want and replicate it.

Build it on the opposite side of your property.

Use your current coop as a quarantine coop for injured, sick, new or broody birds.

3. dodochick92

Dec 8, 2014
    portland maine
    Thanks for the advice!

4. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Not a problem. Everyone that has chickens should have a suitable quarantine area. A first too small coop is perfect.

5. TalkALittle

TalkALittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2014
    Massachusetts
    I too am a new(ish) chicken owner and have decided that my current coop needs an expansion. I do, however, have a pretty good size run attached to it. I've enclosed it with clear tarps and my birds spend most of their time outside in the sheltered run.

In reading through various posts on this site and others, what I found is that you can temporarily get by with a smaller than ideal coop as long as the birds have access to an adequate sized run. If, like mine, all your chickens use the coop for is to roost at night and to lay in, then enlarging your little run would give your birds more usable space until you can build/buy a larger coop with a larger run.

6. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    X2
    If the birds are only inside to roost, the coop can be smaller than optimal.

7. dodochick92

Dec 8, 2014
    portland maine
    Here are a few more pics of it:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by