How and why do I make/need fermented feed.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by 2AcreFarmer, Jan 23, 2014.

1. 2AcreFarmer

2AcreFarmer Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2014
    What is the purpose of fermented feeds? And how do I make fermented feed?

2. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    While chickens are on fermented feed they receive more nutrition then on dry alone. It doesn't increase the nutrition level in the feed, but helps the chickens body absorb it properly. The "mother" in unprocessed acv balances out their digestive system and you can see the results everywhere from better stool, better egg shells, bigger yolks, better feathers, and better overall health of your flock. It also reduces feed waste and keeps them hydrated better because there is water in their feed.

There are many ways to make it but the easiest way is to get a 5gal bucket, add some feed (start with what yours will go threw in a few days), cover feed with water, pour a glug of unpasturized acv with "mother" in it (does not have to be exact, mother will grow as needed), and stir. After about an hour go out there and stir again adding water if it needs it (just a little above the top of the feed). Cover loosly.

Make sure you stir it at least once a day. When you take feed out simply add some more feed and water in as needed (no need for more acv). At some point it will get a white/grey film on top with bubbles, it is not bad just stir it in (it's the mother). At the same time it will smell like a slight sweet after vomit smell, this means it is working. The warmer it is the faster it will ferment. You do not need to wait for it to ferment to feed it to your chickens, you can still enjoy no feed waste right away. If your chickens don't try it right away then sprinkle their favorite treat on it. Mine took to it right away and they were full grown when I started.

1 person likes this.
  3. 2AcreFarmer

Jan 23, 2014
    @foreverlearning does the acv need to have mother in it. I haven't seen any unprocessed apple cider vinegar before. Can you use just regular processed acv?

4. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
  5. 2AcreFarmer

Jan 23, 2014
    @foreverlearning okay thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by