How are Brahmas in the heat?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by mamaKate, Nov 23, 2008.

1. mamaKate

mamaKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    SE MO
    Our weather is hot to scorching in mid-summer. Would they be all right? I have plenty of shade.

2. seriousbill

seriousbill Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Ohio
    Brahmas are tough. My bantams do extremely well in the cold, but they stand heat pretty well too. I've been told by owners in hotter climates than mine that their standard-sized birds also do well. Overall, they're generally a good breed for environmental extremes.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Kate, I believe our summers are pretty close to yours; maybe a tad bit hotter.
    My brahmas did extremely well this past summer. At temps 90 and above I added a fan to move some air. When we hit a stretch of 100 degrees plus days I added poultry electrolytes to their water. Other than a little bit of panting the heat really didn't bother them. I agree with Bill. Brahmas are very tough birds.

4. mikarod

mikarod Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Ours did great in the 110*F heat!

I LOVE Brahmas. Kept laying right through the heat. I also have an 11 year old Brahma male who I'm SURE will die each winter...he never has though...LOL

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

My two hens didn't suffer anymore than any of the other breeds the past two summers. I think they're a very adaptable breed.

6. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I have a flock of Brahmas, never lost one due to heat. We get temps in the high 90s in the summer. Some of mine are going on 7 years old!

7. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

it was 100 here for 2 months,, my brahmas did great,,, and learned to LOVE the sprinklers hehe [​IMG]

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:My SO is gonna absolutely freak if my brahmas live that long! The whole reason he let me order so many is because he was so sure about half of them would croak in the first six months. [​IMG]

9. mamaKate

mamaKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    SE MO
    Thanks for the input. I really want a Light Brahma this spring. I'm glad you guys gave me a green light. Yay! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by