How are Delawares?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by flockman, Jan 15, 2011.

1. flockman

flockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    I am thinking of trying Delawares. I read that they are great brown egg layers and that cockerels make decent meat birds. Last year I raised 50 cornish rock crosses and I will probably do some again. I would like to have a good egg layer that extra roos that I hatch are decent to eat. With 3 children ages 5-8 I do need the roosters to be okay with the kids. The EE roos I have are good with the kids. Are delaware roos good with kids? Where is the best place to get Delawares if they are a good breed. Thanks!

2. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Truthfully, I have two - they are good layers, but n ot nice to the other hens nor are they very friendly, but those are mine - I got them as day olds from a hatchery, not sure which one since Ibought them frmo someone else's order

3. catdaddy66

catdaddy66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Lugoff, SC
    I ordered Delawares for the first time for precisely the reasons that you are describing. Most of the members that I read or messaged were very happy with the egg production, behavior and size of their flock. Do remember a few mentioning poor tolerance for this or that, but any individual animal is going to behave uniquely. Not all pit bull dogs are vicious and I wouldn't think all Delawares are aggressive. Again, I do not currently own any and have NO experience w/ them but did like what I read of them enough to get some. Good luck!!

I am sure on this site there is a thread about Delawares as a breed, so I would start there!!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
  4. boykin2010

boykin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    I love my delawares they are very sweet and you can hold them. They are also very large and good meat birds

5. flockman

flockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    Where did you get your delawares?

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I once had two Delawares from a friends Cackle order. BEAUTIFUL by the way.

WONDERFUL birds. HUGE, ROUND dark brown eggs.

Next year I think I'm going to do a McMurray fantasy order and I'll get two Dellie pullets.

7. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    My Delawares were courtesy of another BYCer.
    Very pretty birds IMO & large-bodied.
    If I were interested in a dual-purpose bird I don't think they would disappoint.
    They are my friendliest hens and good dependable layers of XL brown eggs.
    One is the Boss Hen of the flock and the other is her Lieutenant.

8. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    We had 3 delawares form Privett a few years back. I ended up re-homing them due to poor egg production. They layed often enough (3-5/week) but they were very small even after a couple of years and a molt. Their temperment was very nice, always following us around and willing to be held by anyone. But we are into the chickens for egg production and sales. So since they weren't laying even close to every day and the eggs were small made us think again.

However, this year I'm ordering delawares from Ideal and hoping to have better luck.

9. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

10. chickenshagg

chickenshagg THE ALPHA ROO

Apr 18, 2009
    St. Charles, MO
    I have six Delewares that I got from MYPETCHICKEN A year and a half ago. They have been good layers and are friendly birds but they are definitely the dominant ones of my flock. If it was not for my rooster then the other girls would not get any treats. My Delewares chase the others away but when my rooster is there he lets the other girls eat and keeps the Delewares away while his girls eat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by