How are sumatras?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by theron, Jan 16, 2010.

1. theron

theron Theron's Fowl Farm

Nov 15, 2009
    Midland, MI
    I am interested in getting some black sumatra bantams. Are they friendly? Are they quiet? Do they get along with other breeds? I am just looking for some information before I buy them.

2. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

I don't have them, but I've always admired them. [​IMG] I sure hope someone knowledgeable about them sees this thread. I've heard that they don't take confinement well...that's been my reason for not having them. I'd like to know if that's true or not. [​IMG]

3. shelleyb1969

Must not be anyone in BYC with bantam Sumatras...[​IMG]

4. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    I have a standard blue sumatra. He is 8 months old, he hasn't figured out he is a roo yet. they are oriental game birds, therefore they tend to be agressieve with others of their kind. they can FLY, they can clear a six foot fence like nothing. So far he has been a very sweet boy, but he needs a new home.

5. DillardHome

DillardHome Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2009
    Claxton, GA
    Well thanks to BYC members I found out at least one of my birds is a Sumatra. I really like them for the simple fact that they are not followers of the rest of the flock. She does her own thing most of the time that is until the head roo comes after her to get her back with the flock. She does like to free range but she seems to do fine kept in the coop too. (Especially now that they are all on lockdown for laying eggs all over my property and not in the coop) [​IMG]
    When we first got them it took me a few months to feel comfortable to try letting them free range.
    I haven't seen her get aggressive with any of our other mixed birds. They definately love to roost in the coop, we put up a tree branch in the corner and thats where she sleeps unless it is really cold out then and only then will she share a space with another. However, the only con I have with her is that she doesn't seem to lay an egg often. I have heard they only lay once a week and I am trying to keep track of who lays what but it's hard sometimes.
    She has never tried to peck or act aggressive towards me or my kids. In fact she seems reluctant to come eat out of my hand unlike the others. But after a bit she will slowly approach me and take some.
    I am not a chicken pro yet like some of BYC members but I thought I'd give you my 2 cents on what I have observed with mine so far.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Good luck and let me know what you decide.

6. shelleyb1969

Thanks for sharing, DH. You gave a lot of useful info on their personality and temperament.

7. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    The breeder from whom I purchased my first rosecombs also keeps a few sumatras as watchdogs. They got along great with the small bantams and even attacked the hawks who would try to pick off the little ones. ...I want one [​IMG]

8. shelleyb1969

Quote:Wow...very interesting! [​IMG] If that's the case, EVERYONE should have one. [​IMG]

9. GlitterKitty

GlitterKitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    I havn't ever had bantam Sumatras but I did have a Sumatra rooster.

He was awesome. He fought off a hawk once, and he always took good care of his hens. We had him with one other rooster and he wouldn't attack him or anything. He would of course get mad when Pete (the other rooster) tried to steal a girl but I find Sumatras ebing my favorite breed, and I am considering breeding them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by