1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

How are this serama roos chances?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by luvchicks8, Sep 26, 2010.

1. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    This is Freddy I hope to show him and breed him with my pullet in spring. How would you rate this guy? Honesty I have thick skin lol.
    [​IMG]

2. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    That sure looks like a hen to me, not a rooster at all! Beautiful coloring. I'll let others critique because I don't show myself and don't want to give you a wrong critique.

3. luvchicks8

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    Oh he is a he. He crows every morning;) I believe he is about 9 weeks old.

4. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    Oh, okay, only 9 weeks old! I swear that cockerel looks like an adult hen, hahaha! Also, you might want to wait to get critiques on that guy because seramas usually don't fully fill out until they're about eighteen months old or so. I'd at least wait until he's maybe eight or nine months old.

5. luvchicks8

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    Quote:Sorry my fault I should have given more info on him. He has a ton of growing to do but I know there is standards on back length and wing postioning just not sure what they are.

He is very small actually he is barely taller than my coffee cup you see in the picture.

6. vetgirl00us

vetgirl00us Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Rome, GA
    I am not a judge and still fairly a newbie when it comes to seramas but I think he needs to be more vertical with winds perpendicular to the ground and the head back more but he is young and not in pose. Most seramas can pose well if they want to but the winners are the ones that are very docile and love to strut their stuff naturally. Cute bird though!

7. Nekhebet

Nekhebet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Erie
    I know there's a post on SCNA on how to tell if your bird has a short or long back by placing your fingers between the tail and neck there. I think though that your guy is still a baby xD. Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding was that they can change on you. I'm not experienced enough to make the call on your bird, but maybe you want to post it in the SCNA critique forums? They may just tell you about tailset and wing angles/length and to come back in a few months. Or they might tell you something more in depth, hehe.

As for scale, I put a chick next to a can of coke once and took the pic...hubby got on me because I didn't have the chick RIGHT NEXT to the coke, so it's harder to tell perspective. You did the same thing I did in this picture. Minus the keyboard.

BTW, does anyone know how to make them stand without scaring them with a cat, quail or dog? I know it sounds bad, but that's the only way I've ever seen any of my guys pose (it wasn't intentional...well maybe with the quail)...

8. BluegrassSeramas

BluegrassSeramas Serama Savvy

Aug 25, 2008
    Central Kentucky
    Looks great for his age! Will be able to tell more as he matures, but this is one I would hold back for myself and keep an eye on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by