How are you frugal?

Dragonfly Ranch

Songster
10 Years
May 13, 2009
Happy Valley, CA
With the economy being what it is these days - thought it might be fun to share how we are frugal. I'm always looking for ways to pinch pennies. Share your ideas/ thoughts.

I wash out my Zip Lock freezer type bags and re-use. Made myself a little drying rack for them.

Sandee

31219_drying_rack.jpg

Edited to add: P.S. Got the idea for the rack after seeing one in a catalog for $25 and made my own for less than $3.

Last edited:
Yesterday I made a pot roast in the slow cooker and added some chicken stock ... the chicken stock of course having come from a chicken carcass after a roast chicken dinner.

We used some of the resulting chicken/beef/onion juices from the crock pot for gravy, but there was a lot left, so that went back into the freezer as chicken/beef stock for a future beef curry dish.

My leftovers have leftovers.

How are we not frugal? I didn't used to be, but then I met my DH and found I liked the idea of not having a mortgage, no credit card bills, no charge accounts, nothing owed but the jeep payment (my idea) and utilities. When a doctor bill comes in, it gets paid immediately.
We see if we can make do with what we have before we run out and buy new and sometimes we just do without instead.
I'm getting a new chair this week that has an ottoman so I can put my bad legs up. It'll be the first new piece of furniture in this house in decades.
Our one splurge is on the critters, but only if there's money left at the end of the month.
It's nice to be debt free and not worrying about keeping up with the Joneses.

Packing my sons lunch
Canning Tomatoes (3 diff. ways), Applesauce & Apple Buttter
Raising Chickens
Cooking from scratch no prepackaged entrees here
Growing our own veggies
Coupons and only for products we use. I don't buy things just to redeem a coupon it has to be something we use already.
We eat leftovers and what we don't consume the chickens do. No garbage disposal in our house.
Shut our water softner off - Our septic guy told us how much water is cycled through it and it was a not brainer we turned it off.

None of this was hard. It was how I was raised and now it is fashionable.

Last edited:
Thought of another thing that I do - use dryer sheets a couple of times or collect several and use longer. I saw a tip on DIY TV the other day that said to clean your dryer filter with soap, water and brush at least twice a year so your dryer can run more efficiently. Dryer sheets cause the filter to get clogged and air can not pass through well and it takes longer to dry the clothes.

Keep the tips/idea coming

Sandee

For us it's by getting a lot of clothes for our daughter and ourselves free and/or second hand. We have good neighbors and family that are willing to give up their stuff, and we're not too proud. Especially when the daughter will outgrow most of her clothes in just a few months!

Also, to help heating costs, plastic over the windows, a programmable thermostat, and very comfy slippers!

For food, we make a lot early in the week so DH can bring it to work and reheat at lunch time (I'm a SAHM).

Oh, and of all things, driving the speed limit with the cruise, most of the time.

And we're members of co-ops around here for gas and oil, so we do get a check back every now and then.

buy the economy range stuff in the supermarket
make your own cakes etc - much cheaper and it's easy enough and you don't get so many additives.
fix things rather than buying new.
buy in bulk or economy size and make good use of your fridge and freezer
only put the amount of water you NEED to heat to make a drink
unplug things you aren't using
recycle wrapping paper - can usually wrap another gift with it...
make gifts rather than buying
recycle clothing - if you can't wear it any more you can turn it into a shopping bag/make a smaller thing for someone else to wear/make a toy...

all of these things I've been doing all my life...

and remember you aren't adding to environmental destruction when you re-use something...

Last edited:
Shop at garage sales for household things we need. This takes patience and creativity....there's a lot of free stuff at garage sales too.

Save and use hotel soaps & shampoos.

Avoid window-shopping, it only creates desire for things! (and stay off E-bay too!)

Eat less meat, grow more veggies.

Just say no to $4 bread loaves - make your own for $1.50 a loaf:
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/081mrex.html

Being grateful makes everything I have seem like much more.

This year for Christmas EVERYONE is getting a glitter pine cone and a hand-made card with a personal note......and NOTHING MORE!

Go on, good frugal people!
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom