How are you supposed to clean eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by llandry, Mar 12, 2013.

1. llandry

llandry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2012
    jersey shore, nj
    Is there a "right" way to clean eggs? I've been washing them with soap and cool water and i just read that i should using a special soap and hot water. Is there a specific way?

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I've been told to wash them with cold/lukewarm water, no soap and don't soak them in the water.

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I've always heard using cold/lukewarm water would cause bacteria to be pulled into the shell.....
    I've always been told to use hot water. Not hot enough to cook them, but hot, and just long enough to get the ick off. I don't wash my eggs until right before I use them.
    Nikki

4. Buckeye Jimmie

Buckeye Jimmie New Egg

Mar 11, 2013
    Ohio
    We have a store that sells egg wipes to clean eggs... I don't have eggs yet so I need to know the correct answer also... I am thinking of getting these wipes and try???

5. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    I set my eggs in a bucket with hot water to loosen dried on poo, then wash under a running stream hot water and a little bit of dawn on my scrubby sponge (that is only for egg washing).

I have also read in quite a few places that you should only wash in warm water because cold water will cause the egg shell pores to contract, drawing bacteria into the egg. Warm water opens the pores, you will even see tiny air bubbles escaping from the shell when they are submerged.

6. cinch920

cinch920 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2013
    Central Nebraska
    I've heard that soap is a no no. Just rinse off with lukewarm water if necessary. Supposed to last longer if they are unwashed.

7. brezlynsmom

brezlynsmom Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2010
    Eastern Iowa
    I have been doing alot of research on this exact subject - i've come to the conclusion don't wash (takes bloom off of the egg) unless really dirty - then warm water. When ready to use the egg wash then.

1 person likes this.
  8. llandry

llandry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2012
    jersey shore, nj
    wouldn't hot water cause the egg to start to cook or bacteria to begin growing? Am i over thinking it?

9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Yes, you are, just a little bit. :) A minute held under water not hot enough to burn your hand won't start anything to grow, especially if you are gently washing the shell. Which I ONLY do for really dirty eggs.

Yup, that's it. Don't wash until ready to cook.

For the folks creeped out by "dirty" eggs in the fridge near your sealed and covered food items, just store your eggs on the counter. They do NOT need to be refrigerated. Not even for two-week old eggs. (Or older... But THAT <I>*really*</I> bothers many people.). Not me.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  10. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    Most people selling their eggs would be washing them. I personally would not sell my eggs without washing them first, just for the fact that I would loose most of my customers if I sold dirty eggs. Unfortunately I often get dirty eggs from my 50 girls tromping around outside before coming in to lay eggs. So yes, I wash every egg I sell. It is personal preference if you ask me. I wish I had foot bathes for them as them come and go from the coop ;)

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by