How are you SURE when your hatch ends?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kbbeale, Feb 7, 2009.

1. kbbeale

kbbeale Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2007
    Adkins, Tx
    Today is approaching the end of day 21. I have 42 silkie eggs in the bator - 12+ have hatched out. Everything went PERFECT this go around - so I'm a bit surprised that more hasnt hatched, yet. The 12 I have started hatching late on day 19. So I should remove some of them, if not all tomorrow to the hatcher.......

So, how are you SURE the other eggs are duds? I would have expected at least a 50% hatch, since everything went so well this time.

Thoughts?

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

I call it when the last egg hatches or 3 day after the first one hatches, which ever comes first. An only open the incubator at that time, not before.

I have a habit of taping on the eggs as throw them out to see if they chirp at me.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  3. purelypoultry

purelypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    Fremont, Wisconsin
    When I used to use small incubators I would quit on the 22nd day. That way the chicks do have a chance to come out. God bless your efforts.

4. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, there are many factors that can influence your hatch, not just the ones you can see and control during incubation. I wouldn't count the unhatched ones out yet. There's still a good chance that more will hatch. Patience, my friend. [​IMG] Most of us wait until day 23 or 24 before calling it quits. Hopefully you'll have more pips soon!!! [​IMG]

5. sewincircle

sewincircle Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Central New York
    I always leave them a few days beyond day 21 to be sure. I have indeed had some hatch on day 22 and into 23. I am happy for those you have though. But give it a bit more time. You should not open the incubator too often or the humidity will all get sucked out and the membrane will suffocate the remaining babies. I am speaking from experience. I accidently killed my second hatch babies. I opened the incubator to remove one baby and the humidity never quite came back and all the remaining chicks died. It was sad, but I did not know. Good luck with your hatch. Pictures of the 12 you have now would be nice. [​IMG] hehehe Best of luck to you!!

6. kbbeale

Oct 26, 2007
    Adkins, Tx
    I havent opened this incubator through the ENTIRE hatch, only to remove the turner. We've been adding water through the vent holes and all has gone great, temp and humidity wise......

We shall see I guess....

7. sewincircle

sewincircle Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Central New York
    That is great. You are a bit wiser than I was. I just did not know how important it was at the time. And I have learned a lot since that disaster. I do wish you the best. I did not mean to imply thats what you did. I was only sharing my mistake. I hope you get many more fuzzy babies!!! [​IMG]

8. kbbeale

Oct 26, 2007
    Adkins, Tx
    Oh trust me, BTDT!!! LOL I'm wondering if all the activity from the hatched chicks has caused a problem with those that havent hatched yet? I wouldnt think so? The chicks in there sure have moved around the other eggs..........

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by