How are your ducks housed for severe weather?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by NajmoNests, Dec 2, 2010.

1. NajmoNests

NajmoNests Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2010
    E. Central, MN
    My flock of call ducks are now in lock in until weather is 20 above or more. I use no heat lamps but do have light on timer. Heated dog water bowl works great - board across half to prevent bathing in sub zero temps. It is deep enough for head washing. Insulated building and wood chip bedding. My spoiled quackers also have their own gymn for exercise and relief from boredom. They indicated their choice of inside only and I tried to provide cushy housing for our 6 months of winter. Do I spoil these Minnesota snow birds? [​IMG]
    The flock was in/out until solid freeze, then they decided it was enough. On the last free range day, this is the scene: take 2 or 3 steps on each foot, drop down & tuck feets under wings, then try to procede again. Took quite a while to get them all in with these footsie warming breaks. When they reached the open door, load talking, happy bobbing and warm drinks. They were locked in that night, with light on timer.
    Next day, they were let out into fenced area with access to indoor home... there they huddled on & around pine branches draped for shelter. They were back in & yelling for clean drinking water before 4pm!
    From then on, the little duckie-door windows were opened but they would waddle or fly to the other end of their quarters.
    I realize ducks in the wild make do, but... these are my pampered pets and I try to keep them happy. I will be rewarded with little quackers come spring, splash parties all summer. Quack quack [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
  2. JustAChickenLittle&More

JustAChickenLittle&More Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Florida
    [​IMG] Yeah, I have two 3 week old Pekin Ducklings. Their in the house (hubby's idea). They are cute as anything, and actually very behaved. I have them in a large chicken coop for baby chicks. But does anyone know about that Duck Diaper thing? What do you use, how do you put them on? and don't the ducks take them off? I rather use a ducky for them instead of the newspaper on the cage. Whaddaya think? Any ideas? Does anybody keep their ducks in the house in-definitely? Mine are in for the winter. But if its up to the hubby, they would probably stay in forever. [​IMG]

3. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    WELL IF IT GETS BELOW 40 I MAKE THEM TAKE OFF THEIR BATHING SUITS AND WEAR SHORTS AND T SHIRTS AT LEAST [​IMG]

[​IMG]

FLIP FLOPS ARE OPTIONAL...

4. duckking

duckking Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    My mallards and rouen are very happy to be swimming in their pool as long as I chip the ice out, otherwise they try to dive in and get a big headache.

5. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Quote:Yes my pekins are very tolerant of cold weather and just keep on waddling along!

6. destinduck

destinduck obsessed with "ducks"

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    The only severe weather Im gonna get here is a hurricane. So I tell em , Point in to the wind boys its going to get hairy and pray [​IMG]

7. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

my ducks have shelter from the wind and snow, but during the day they're thrilled to stay out in the 10 degree or lower temps... I give them warm water to bathe and drink, and dry straw to keep their tootsies off the snow... if they want. 3 winters so far, lowest temp was -20, (yes, negative 20) and they all did fine.

8. NajmoNests

Mar 1, 2010
    E. Central, MN
    JM - love your security fencing! Your ducks look so regal peaking over the walls. [​IMG]

9. duckking

duckking Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    My ducks also have a duck house with about 10" of shavings and straw to escape into and I keep straw on the ground to keep their footsies warm, but darned if they don't prefer to be in their pool no matter what the temp. Silly ducks. They seemed to enjoy the snow as well. They do go into their house at dusk on their own volition. I just go out once it's dark and lock them in....we have major predators around here and don't want to keep them tempted at night.

Your set-up looks awesome naj. Don't show it to my guys tho....they'll think they are being abused. Then again, you'd have to drag them out of the pool first.

*EDITED* for stupid spelling

Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
  10. NajmoNests

Mar 1, 2010
    E. Central, MN
    Using DE under/around water bowl & scooping off wet chips and replacing them keeps ice piles at bay. A friend suggested sprinkling DE over chips & rake/fluffing it keeps air breatheable & duckie doodoo drier. Works for my quackers' housing.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by