How bad do they bleed?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Teresaann24, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I have one chickie zipping now I notice on the membane a lil blood not oozing or pouring out just looks a lil bit bloody on the membrane it has opened up? is this ok or bad? This is my 1st time hatching eggs myself.

2. bradybrady09

bradybrady09 BANNED

Mar 19, 2009
    Vermont
    every chick i have hatched all have some blood i have been hatching a long time its normal

3. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    ok i was unsure i have hatched chicks under broodies but never got to see them hatch so I was unsure. This is my first time hatching in a incubator myself so I just wanted to be sure that a lil blood was ok.

4. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    This baby hatched out and is fine...looks real nice and healthy. Now if only the other 5 will get to hatching..LOL

5. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    I had one with a bloody pip
    [​IMG]

It hatched out fine overnight so I didn't even know which one it was. Usually there is some blood left in the membrane that they didn't completely absorb. Most of the time it all stays behind in the egg though. I don't know what happened with that one but it didn't seem to have any issues.

6. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

That membrane is kind of like an umbilical cord in babies, Once they are out it seals up and they are fine. If for any reason you ever have to help a chick hatch and encounter blood, do not go any further because they will bleed out.

7. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    thanks for all the advice! That one is out and doing good and I have another one piping now.

8. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Here the chick is drying in the incubator. Little black silkie chick!

Sorry so dark the lighting in there is horrible,..LOL

[​IMG]

9. Ky Chicken Fan

Ky Chicken Fan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    Northern Kentucky
    Quote:Awwwwwww, way too cute.... I never get tired of seeing the new babies. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by